• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pamela anderson

My boyfriend is in the Army and got divorced in 2-99. Since his divorce he has still been claiming married to get extra pay from the Army. Someone, whom we do not know, found out this information and turned him in for it. He is now facing fraud, embezzlement and falsifying gov't documents charges. I knew he was doing this but did not know anything about the military and did not tell anyone what he was doing. Whoever turned him in told the CID that I had witnessed him doing this and that I knew all about him doing this and that I supplied him with some of the documents he turned in. I have now been told that if I testify against him and admit I knew anything about it then I could face the same charges for not turning him in. Does anyone know anything about this type of situation who can give me some advice? I have been told that if we get married I will not have to testify against him or give a statement because he is my husband and the same if charges are brought against he will not have to help them or testify against me. Is this true? I could use all the help I can get right now because the CID is on me constantly wanting to know what I might or might not know.

S

sgtdragon

I am not a lawyer, but I am retired from the Army with the rank of Sergeant. Your story reminded me of a situtation similiar to yours. I found out that one of my soldiers was getting full BAQ (housing allowance), while living in government quarters. In essance the soldier was given a huge allotment of money to live on the economy, and a free house on post. The soldier had a duty to report the error but didn't. This went on for two years before I found out. When I did, I was bound by duty to report the matter. In short, the solder lost 3 pay grades and had to repay all of the money. The soldier helped matters by being honest when the time counted. The military judge could have sentenced him to 10 years in military prision. I will tell you that I found out what this soldier was doing because he bragged about it to friends. These friends became jealous and turned him in to me. Again, I am not a lawyer, but right now you are not connected with the army. If you marry him and get a ID card, you then become connected. From what I understand CID doesn't like going after civilians unless it is something really big. At most I would think that they would consult with local police.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">