• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

military help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hoopz544

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I need information about military law. A friend of mine is in some trouble because he never returned from leave. He wants to turn himself in but he doesn't know what to expect or what's going to happen. The Judge Advocates office secretary told him just to turn himself in but did not give him any information. Could someone please help.

Son of Slam

hoopz544 said:

I need information about military law. A friend of mine is in some trouble because he never returned from leave. He wants to turn himself in but he doesn't know what to expect or what's going to happen. The Judge Advocates office secretary told him just to turn himself in but did not give him any information. Could someone please help.

At face value we can say "Slap on the wrist" but, there may be more to his story.

R

Rowbear

After he turns himself in he will have a trail, be fined most of his wages, and finally be dishonorably discharged. The discharge is the worst because it will hurt future employment. After 5-years he can petition to change it to administrative discharge.

H

hoopz544

The "more" part of his story is that he has been AWOL for more then a year. Will he face jail time? and for about how long?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

hoopz544 said:
The "more" part of his story is that he has been AWOL for more then a year. Will he face jail time? and for about how long?

My response:

He's lucky he doesn't have me looking for him. I'd hunt the goddamned little coward down and shoot him where he stood.

IAAL

N

nowpastdue

I am NOT an attorney.

Type UCMJ into search engine, then scroll down to Article 85 for desertion and Article 86 for AWOL. Read. The difference is in the member's intent. Time is of the essence. Being gone over 30 days normally drops a service member from the rolls as a deserter. Best if he turns himself in and faces the music. IMO, he will face federal prison time.

A

american

do time

first - for every day gone he will pay for that day in lock-up-plus next he will given military defender for court martial and worse is the fbi is now looking for him and they find him he will sit in local jail until they decide to pick him up-3wks to 3months. whole process can take from time picked up to discharge 1-2 years. bad mistake for young person whos rest of life ruined.

G

GKris

Yup. Forever the military has been a place for young adults with no where else to turn to go and hopefully straighten out their lives. It was a paycheck, 3 meals a day, and a future. Unfortunatley for the past few years we as a nation have allowed fingerpointing and a blameless society to rule - which means our youth has no concept of service or acceptance of responsibility. This person signed up to do a job, was promised certain things in return for that job. Now when it was time to actually for the military to do something this coward ran. During the Clinton administration deserters were treated fairly leniant. During The Bush years and especially after our tour in Iraq - America will not stand for a coward and deserter. Tell this person to run to France, they would welcome him. If he gets caught and is tried here in the states he will be dealt with very harshly. Making big rocks into little rocks, welcome to Leavenworth.

B

Billlegal

I agree, your friend is in some trouble.

Article 85 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice covers the offense of desertion. The maximum punishment depends on whether his absence is "terminated by apprehension" (i.e., he is arrested) or "terminated otherwise" (he turns himself in).

The maximum punishment if his absence is terminated by apprehension is dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 3 years. If he turns himself in, punishment is dishonorable discharge, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 2 years.

He saves himself (potentially) the risk of an extra year in jail if he turns himself in. Eventually, he will be caught. All it takes is a wants and warrants check if he gets pulled over for a minor traffic violation.

Short version: He needs to arrange to surrender, without delay.

L

loocpoc

hoopz544 said:

Where in PA are you located? The closest military desertion time is located at Ft. Dix.

E

emersonpoet

DISGUSTED

I am dissqualified from the military through no fault of my own- tell the JAG that I'll happily take his place in IRAQ! I'd love to fight along side my brother and blow up a few things of my own.

just let me know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">