• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

military law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pingle

I may be discharged from the service. I made a false statement and was convicted of it at NJP. My immediate concern is about my type of discharge. I of course want an honorable one. Does anyone know what the deal is? How can I ensure that I get it.

racer72

It will be up to your command as to the type of discharge you receive. I too, received NJP punishment when I was in the Navy but still received an honorable discharge. Mine was for disrespect of an officer, a relatively minor charge. And the NJP should not be the cause of your discharge, it takes a court martial to be tossed from the military.

H

Humble Warrior

Respectfully,Pingle is dead wrong. You DO NOT need a courts martial to be discharged from service. This is only true of "career listed" servicemen(over ten years active duty),and even then it is up to the discretion of the service member. Should they chose to contest the discharge,there will be conveined a tribunal courts martial of your superiors,and weigh the evidence it's merits,and the degree of punishment(which in your case is maxed out as 10 years in Levenworth,and a $5000 fine,and DISHONORABLE discharge).
What you can expect at worst is a bust in grade/rate,loss of pay,confinement to quarters,and a General Discharge.
A G.D. has limited veteran benefits,and is up-gradable by a conveining of a board of officers after two years. The up-grade must be requested using form DD4187,and sent to 5000 Page Blvd,St. Louis MS.
or by contacting your local Veteran Rep.
Hope this helped you,

U.S. Army

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">