• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military Law- Sexual Harassment Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ANONYMOUS123465

Military Law- Sexual Harassment Need Advice
What is the name of your state? New Mexico

Hello.
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it is possible to sue the military Under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, where
"victims may sue, and employers (i.e. the Air Force or Department of Defense) may be held monetarily liable, for sexual harassment in either form" AFTER seperation from service. I know those who wear the uniform are unable to.

I am seperating from the Air Force in 8 days and currently have a Military Equal Opportunity investigation in progress about the sexual harassment of my supervisor towards me over the past year of work. I brought about a complaint to the Chief months ago who brushed it off and said he didn't feel there was a problem. The case is now in the commander and MEO office hands but I believe that I'm beginning to be railroaded in a way by my chain (commander/first shirt/etc). Last week my rights were read to me by my first shirt, as false accusations were made against me after I handed my statement over. The complaint process, formal, is supposed to be taken care of completely by the MEO office but my commander has been holding his own investigation (at the same time) into the matter. I'm not sure if that is even legal as I believe it is interfearing with the case. Today, I was told that they were re-investigating my background and checking my security clearance (for some BS reason but not to "worry"). I'm starting to feel like fingers are being pointed at me, I'm seperating from the service and it would be easy to brush it off as never really happening. It seems like the commander is involved to cover his own butt but he wanted me to visit the MEO office about the complaints I had. The harassment story is a very long one, if anyone wants to hear it I will be glad to send them my statement. I'm starting to believe that I'm the one who is now getting the blame for putting in my statement, as our chain of command is very close and everyone is friends with one another. I believe I'm about to be at fault for filing a formal complaint against him or it is going to backfire at me with lies on the harassers part and others at my job who have witnessed and have been involved in harassment towards me as well. I was the only female working in a 20 man'ed shop and have gone through so much over the year of working there it is really pathetic. I do not have the results of the MEO case yet, it is currently at the legal office but will soon be known.

I'm wondering if a civilian lawer can put more light on this, are active duty service members able to go after them in court for hostile workplace harassment and discrimination after being discharged from the service?

any help would be wonderful, thank you.

Son of Slam

Yeah, that's right lady, sue. We don't mind giving you some of our tax dollars sinse you couldn't perform you duty in a military manor. We were stupid enough to let you try, thinking a woman could handle the job, but we were wrong so now we owe you. Hopefully you will get enough to not have to foul things up trying to work somewhere else.

Shay-Pari'e

Son of Slam said:
Yeah, that's right lady, sue. We don't mind giving you some of our tax dollars sinse you couldn't perform you duty in a military manor. We were stupid enough to let you try, thinking a woman could handle the job, but we were wrong so now we owe you. Hopefully you will get enough to not have to foul things up trying to work somewhere else.

.How will your tax dollors be paid for a civilian attorney? Who said she couldn't perform her duty?

Mam,

There are civilian attorneys familiar with jag, look in your local phone book, you will probobly see a few since you are at a base, you can also try this site.

http://staaamp.org

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:

Son of Slam

--PARIDISE-- said:
How will your tax dollors be paid for a civilian attorney?

http://staaamp.org

Let's try a quote from the page you linked to;
In the last 11 years multiple scandals have occurred throughout the military services. Millions of taxpayer dollars have been spent; policy "reforms" made; and yet has anything truly changed?

Shay-Pari'e

Son of Slam said:
In the last 11 years multiple scandals have occurred throughout the military services. Millions of taxpayer dollars have been spent; policy "reforms" made; and yet has anything truly changed?

Yes, I remember the "SCANDALS". This woman came to this site for advice and got what? She offered the story, was polite enough not to make a long post.

You do not know this woman, you do not know her time in service, you don't know if she fought for our country in Iraq. At LEAST put the uniform on before assuming anything of this poster, other than she is asking a legal question.

And less you forget, most of the scandals were found true, the accusers correct, the accused, guilty.It is apparent what you think of women, so I choose not to respond to you because you can clearly see what I think of you.

Shay-Pari'e

Son of Slam said:

"SINCE", you did not understand my response, I edited it for you. Sorry you could not understand the words, or the meaning of the sentence, but I guess you can't spell "SINCE" either.

Happy now?

H

happynow

Darn, I thought someone wanted to talk to me...I'll go back to sleep now. :eek:

n_and

--PARIDISE-- said:
"SINCE", you did not understand my response, I edited it for you. Sorry you could not understand the words, or the meaning of the sentence, but I guess you can't spell "SINCE" either.

Happy now?
'Mam' is spelled ma'am. It's a contraction of 'madam'.

VR_Hunter

Son of Slam said:
The tax paying dollars the above refers to is an investigation within the military. Tax payers pay for what the Military does. If the individual who started this thread gets a civilian lawyer, it won't cost YOU one red cent.

Quote SOS "We were stupid enough to let you try, thinking a woman could handle the job, but we were wrong so now we owe you. Hopefully you will get enough to not have to foul things up trying to work somewhere else. "

I have worked with women in the military for 20 years. While there are a few that "can't handle the job", most work their butts off for YOUR freedom so you can come to this forum and bash them. That is your right. However, you are free because our military has been there defending our freedoms from the beginning.

To ANONYMOUS123465: If what you say is true, the case will be dropped without any long term impact on you. You have the right to follow up with a civilian attorney when you are separated from the military. I am not saying you did or didn't get harassed, but be very sure of yourself before you go the route of the lawyer. The military will bring up everything they can to undermine your position. Get your ducks in a row.

I do have to say this though. MEO usually does a very thorough job when it comes these cases. They do NOT work for your commander or anyone in his chain of command.

A

ANONYMOUS123465

update

UPDATE:

The MEO and legal office both found him guilty (substantiated) of 4 counts of sexual harassment towards me and one count of discrimination in the workplace towards me over the period of a year. From that point it was up to my commander to take action against him. I'm now separated from the military and home and believe my commander only gave him a slap on the wrist. They are all good friends and I don't believe any action has been taken against him but it's on "the record" that it actually took place...whoopie. He retires in one year and goes about his merry way as if nothing happened, not punished just like I believed would happen. I'm finding myself the best civilian lawyer possible and I'm going to file suit against the AF/DOD for allowing sexual harassment to continue, after the first complaint it should have stopped since they state they practice a zero tolerance policy. It's zero tolerance for the victim and that is about it. I have all documentation and also have medical documentation that proves my harasser is responsible for the subchorionic bleeding and placenta previa that occurred after I became pregnant. I went to work with a profile that stated I was not to lift more then 10 lbs. and my harasser believed it would be funny to send me out to unload an aircraft by myself (75 lb. bags) and the following day, laughed about my profile and joked with the others in the office right infront of me about my pregnancy. I ended up in the hospital with pain and bleeding right afterwards and almost miscarried. Just one of the many things he has done to me and is now going to get away with. I'm sick to my stomach now about this and consulted with a lawyer today but was referred to one who is prior military. I am not sure what my rights are exactly when it comes to being prior military filing suit against the DOD, but I'm not going to allow this to happen. Maybe once there are enough lawsuits against the military for allowing this to take place, maybe then they will wake up and actually enforce the policy that they are so quick to preach about.

C

coosi

Thanks for the update. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">