• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minnesota knife laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doctor-dendrite

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I have a question regarding the legality of owning or carrying butterfly knives in Minnesota. The reason I'm interested is because I recently purchased one in an area where they are legal, but I spend my summers in Minnesota. The knife in question has a 5" blade. The only state law regarding knives that I've found is very vague (https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=609.66). My interpretation of the statute is that since a butterfly knife is not opened automatically and therefore not a switchblade knife, it is legal as long as it is not used or intended to be used as a weapon. Any help clarifying the subject is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

xylene

Please know I LOVE knives...

Here is the bottom line on balisongs (butterfly knives) :cool:

esp ones with big blades:rolleyes:

This holds true in every state - without regard to state knife laws

Your knife (any butterfly) looks like a weapon, and nothing but a weapon to a cop.

If your 5" balisong is discovered on you person you will be arrested.

Then you, your lawyer, the prosecutor and a judge will work out if your knife is legal and if carrying it amount to any other weapons offense...

That in itself a good reason to NEVER carry a butterfly.

If you own a balisong keep it at home and play with it.

Never bring it anywhere. Never show it off.

doctor-dendrite

xylene-

Do you have any sources regarding the actual legal standing of balisongs/butterfly knives in MN? What you posted sounded to me like a discretion issue concerning the hypothetical police officer.

Edit: you also mention that knife laws essentially make no difference when dealing with butterfly knives. Could you explain why that is? It seems odd to me that if something you own is legal, you could still be arrested for having it based on the discretion of a police officer.

Last edited:

doctor-dendrite

I've tried a few blade forums, the general response was that butterfly knives are a legal grey area in many states and to ask a law forum somewhere.

xylene

I've tried a few blade forums, the general response was that butterfly knives are a legal grey area in many states and to ask a law forum somewhere.
That answer is correct. Gray area.

I'm not going to 'prove' the illegality of balisongs - since it is poorly defined.

A knife, any knife can be construed as a weapon.

While I agree it is wrongly so perceived, balisongs have bad reputation as a weapon, a weapon of intimidation and gang violence.

The intent to carry as a weapon is the crux.

A balisong carried on the person will be seen by an officer as a weapon and / or illegal knife, and you would be arrested.

Now we can debate the legality of some hypothetical search or arrest, but the reality is that even if you are carrying around the MN state code in your pocket, that would not stop a cops arrest.

The cop would arrest you and the lawfulness of your arrest would be a matter for (as stated)

your lawyer, the prosecutor and a judge will work out if your knife is legal and if carrying it amount to any other weapons offense...
You butterfly knife being legal or in a legal grey area would not block you from arrest if your balisong was discovered on your person incident to a search or arrest.

If the arrest was no good, it would be tossed. If good you would be facing a serious weapons charge...

Either way, the cop would not go to jail or be punished, nor would you be refunded your legal defense or awarded damages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">