• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor arrested for petty theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

martin4010

My 16 year old daughter was arrested for petty theft (JCPenny). She was given a citation to appear in court in two months. What are we looking at? She has never been involved in anything illegal before. What is going to happen? Please advise. Thanks in advance.:confused:

N

nycitie

hopefully a long probation, and maybe some re- education by her parents.

Yes you must instill upon her the truth, that you can't steal anything out the front door, it has to be done out the back door or in the executive suite...a la..ENRON!

M

martin4010

I do not condone what she did. I have instilled in her moral
values as well. This is a first time offense and I am sure that
she will NEVER do this again. (They say that people do strange things during a full moon and the night this occurred it happened to be the biggest and brightest full moon this year!?) However, I am asking what is going to happen when we have to appear in court? I want to at least be prepared. I have never had to go to a court proceeding. Again, thanks in advance.

R

RedneckRoy

In a lot of places she might get slapped on the wrist with some sort of probation. Here a few months ago I was reading in the paper where they are really cracking down on shoplifting in California. The article I read said something about them proscecuting to the fullest extent of the law. Now that's just what I read, don't know nothing about if it's true.

TYRIS

a first time petty theft charge in california is a $50-$1000 dollar fine and/or up to six months in jail. since she is a first time juvenile offender, she is possible looking at a fine and maybe court probation. however, in california, after a first conviction of petty theft, any petty theft conviction thereafter becomes a felony under 666 pc of the california penal code.

TYRIS

in michigan they make you take a course by mail called shoplifters alternative. it is 65 dollars but it is good for the kid and as a parent who went thru it(i would reccomend it) i can understand how you feel. if she is suffering from depression or under stress it makes it harder to control. this course really opened my eyes to some issues as well as the kids. in michigan we will have to wait 5 years to get it off of the record and we were talking about 26 dollars worth. 4 months probation, about 600 dollars in fines and 4 hrs in jail was a eye opener.

B

burnt

there never has, nor will there ever be any scientific evidence that stange things happen on a full moon. its an illusory correlation

V

Vincent Cosent

Is it not true

That in California when you get three felonies you go to jail for life? If thats true and your daughter continues she may end up in prison for life just for shoplifting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">