• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in Consumption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davind

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota

This weekend I got a MIC. Since I'm 19, they gave me a yellow summons with a court date and sent me on my way. I have never been in trouble before, and I have no idea how this process works. So my questions are:

1. Will my parents find out? I can go to court and pay the fines/do probation all on my own. I want to keep them out of this.
2. Will they send me anything via mail? I don't live at the address on my license, so if they do, I will not receive it.
3. Should I just go in and plead guilty? I blew a 0.058 and admitted to drinking. I would rather just get this all over with.
4. I don't have court for a whole month. I just want to get this done and over with. Is there any way I can get a sooner court date?

Thanks.

davind

They are super conservative. They don't believe in alcohol. You would not find a drop of liquor in our house. I don't make a practice of drinking, and only do every so often. I'm afraid if they find out they will pull me out of college or refuse to help me pay.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They are super conservative. They don't believe in alcohol. You would not find a drop of liquor in our house. I don't make a practice of drinking, and only do every so often. I'm afraid if they find out they will pull me out of college or refuse to help me pay.
Ahhh - things that are normally considered BEFORE one breaks the law and/or the rules.

davind

Yes it is. However, I have decided to tell them. I can't handle not. Any advice on how to tell them?

Zigner

Yes it is. However, I have decided to tell them. I can't handle not. Any advice on how to tell them?
That is not a legal question. You've lived with them for 19 years, it seems that you would be the best person to answer this.

davind

Okay forget that last post then. Should I just go in and plead guilty? I blew a 0.05. I want to get this over with as fast as possible.

Zigner

Okay forget that last post then. Should I just go in and plead guilty? I blew a 0.05. I want to get this over with as fast as possible.
I would suggest that you consult with an attorney. You are accused of a class 2 misdemeanor:

22-6-2. Misdemeanor classes and penalties--Restitution--Misdemeanor when no penalty imposed. Misdemeanors are divided into two classes which are distinguished from each other by the following maximum penalties which are authorized upon conviction:
(1) Class 1 misdemeanor: one year imprisonment in a county jail or two thousand dollars fine, or both;
(2) Class 2 misdemeanor: thirty days imprisonment in a county jail or five hundred dollars fine, or both.

dave33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Dakota

This weekend I got a MIC. Since I'm 19, they gave me a yellow summons with a court date and sent me on my way. I have never been in trouble before, and I have no idea how this process works. So my questions are:

1. Will my parents find out? I can go to court and pay the fines/do probation all on my own. I want to keep them out of this.
2. Will they send me anything via mail? I don't live at the address on my license, so if they do, I will not receive it.
3. Should I just go in and plead guilty? I blew a 0.058 and admitted to drinking. I would rather just get this all over with.
4. I don't have court for a whole month. I just want to get this done and over with. Is there any way I can get a sooner court date?

Thanks.
If your main concern is your parents, just go on your date and plead guilty.

Zigner

If your main concern is your parents, just go on your date and plead guilty.
This is a misdemeanor. It isn't a good idea to recommend the OP plead guilty to a crime just so mommy and daddy won't find out.

dave33

This is a misdemeanor. It isn't a good idea to recommend the OP plead guilty to a crime just so mommy and daddy won't find out.
That was the question the o.p. asked. I personally would have different concerns but if the o.p.'s concerns are his parents finding out than my advice stands.

Zigner

That was the question the o.p. asked. I personally would have different concerns but if the o.p.'s concerns are his parents finding out than my advice stands.
Prior to your post the OP already followed up by stating he WAS going to inform his parents.

ETA: Interesting, I remember seeing him state he was going to tell them and it's gone now...

dave33

Prior to your post the OP already followed up by stating he WAS going to inform his parents.

ETA: Interesting, I remember seeing him state he was going to tell them and it's gone now...
Yup, I see that now. Anyway, the o.p. should show up and go from there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">