• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

minor daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KARINA

What is the name of your state? nc
i have been charged wiwth contributing to the delinquincy of a minor for giving my 16 yr old daughter klonopin to sleep. she was previously prescribed this but I couldn't afford dr and new prescrip. what legal ramifications do i face?

HomeGuru

KARINA said:
What is the name of your state? nc
i have been charged wiwth contributing to the delinquincy of a minor for giving my 16 yr old daughter klonopin to sleep. she was previously prescribed this but I couldn't afford dr and new prescrip. what legal ramifications do i face?

**A: how did you then get more prescription medicine? You forged a presciption, stole a bottle or borrowed from someone, right?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Klonopin, or as it is otherwise known as "Clonazepam", is a Schedule IV controlled substance.

North Carolina provides penalties of up to 15 months in prison and appropriate fines for unlawful delivery of this type of a drug.

It doesn't matter that she was a prescription user of this drug in the past. The fact is, she wasn't prescribed the drug when you gave it to your daughter. So, that "excuse" is out, and not a defense. It is a highly toxic, habit-forming, and addictive drug requiring a doctor's care, control and guidance; i.e., a prescription.

In short, this drug is extremely dangerous.

IAAL

Last edited:
D

DianneInNY

Just out of curiousity, what were the circumstances leading to you being charged? Who found out it was given to her?

M

Mike101

Are you only charged with contributing? If that is the only charge then that is the only one to worry about.
If you have no prior incidents concerning your daughter you will probably end up in some form of court ordered counseling and/or probation.

AmosMoses

How did the charges come about? Did she OD, or leave the house "high" or something? I mean, there are also federal and likely state laws against diversion, or "distribution". Before it's over, I would think that you may be in more trouble than you now realize.

M

Mike101

Contributing in NC is a catch crime. When you don't really have anything else to charge that is what you use. Distribution is not going to interest anybody because of the quantity involved. Your guilty of poor judgement. If it was going to go past that social services would have been there to take your daughter. If social services haven't been there then as long as you don't do it again I hardly think that any other charges will be filled. Do it again and it will be a whole different story.

AmosMoses

Mike- That's interesting. I guess that's kind of like a strong "written warning", huh? They likely would not be able to pursue any other charges, or they would have, I assume you are saying. You know, that may well be a good enforcement idea all around in certain cases. It would surely be enough to keep someone who is basically a law abiding citizen "in check", without ruining their lives with a felony conviction (or is that a felony?), wouldn't it? Is that a fairly common practice?

K

KARINA

my daughter got in trouble at school and was found with the meds. I take the klonopin because I haaave severe panic attacks.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

KARINA said:
"my daughter got in trouble at school and was found with the meds. I take the klonopin because I haaave severe panic attacks."

=================================

My response:

Well, then this is something for you to start panicking about, because you're also at fault for allowing the pills to be available to her during school hours when there would be ABSOLUTELY no reason for her to have them during the day.

Also, you have a real BAD stutter. "I haaaaaave a bad stutter."

IAAL

HomeGuru

IAAL, why did you have to mention the stuttering?
Now she will get a prescription for that too, which the daughter will get ahold of and then the cycle begins again.

H

hmmbrdzz

You guys are h h h hilarious! And mom -- I don't know too many 16 year olds who care about sleep. Did you honestly think she did? You've been charged with contributing. That'll be the end of that. Your daughter, though, will be charged with a whole lot worse when she's popped on distributing that narcotic you’re giving her to other kids. Get smart.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">