• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in possesion of alcohol? maybe?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcossy1023

Massachusetts,
Hi gentlemen/women,
I am currently 20 years old and last night a couple of friends and I were outside drinking. I was carrying a bud light in my hand and I had about 5-6 beers in a laptop bag that I was carrying. We saw the cop car come and I put the beer behind me on a bench (bad move).

The cop came over and searched my two friends and when he came to me, I got up and tried to hide the beer with my body. The cop spun me around three times while he searched me and on the last turn spotted the beer. He then said, why were you hiding stuff. I said I dunno. he told me to sit down and give him my ID, which I did. He asked if there was any more alcohol around and I said yes in the bag, he took the entire bag for evidence. He said I will be recieving a summons to court and if i dont appear I will have a bench warrant out for my arrest.

So, I was wondering, what am i going to get charged with probably? Minor in possesion of alcohol. Also is there any thing I can say to the judge to maybe expunge or seal my record about since ironically enough, I am moving towards a career in law enforcement. The cop was also a University police officer not a city/state one.
Thanks!!!!
silly drunk

CdwJava

rcossy1023 said:
So, I was wondering, what am i going to get charged with probably? Minor in possesion of alcohol. Also is there any thing I can say to the judge to maybe expunge or seal my record about since ironically enough, I am moving towards a career in law enforcement. The cop was also a University police officer not a city/state one.
Thanks!!!!
silly drunk
The judge isn't going to seal or expunge your conviction because you want to. Generally these things are subject to some form of diversion to keep it off your record, however. Even if diversion is not possible, this is NOT an automatic bar to employment in law enforcement. It does, however, demonstrate immaturity and disregard for the law which will play against you in the background process. Even if sealed or expunged, you would likely have to reveal it in a background ... and if you did not, I can almost guarantee that a decent background investigation will uncover it. If they were to uncover it without your telling them, it would likely mean no employment by them or any other department; deception in employment does NOT play well in cop shops.

Wise up, start making GOOD adult decisions, and keep your nose clean for the next few years if you hope to have a chance in law enforcement. Best bets: Go to college and hold down a steady job. These two things will go a long way to making you look good.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">