• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor potentially accusing me of rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Victoryrider

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Ok so this girl that I had been dating for about two months I just decided we weren't working out because she was 18 and I'm 22. When I told her that it wasn't working she texted me saying that she was only 16 which is bad but not illegal according to ORC 2907.04 (A) No person who is eighteen years of age or older shall engage in sexual conduct with another, who is not the spouse of the offender, when the offender knows the other person is thirteen years of age or older but less than sixteen years of age, or the offender is reckless in that regard. But now she wants money or she's going to accuse me of rape, this is all in text message so I have it all saved but if she does falsely accuse me of rape how hard will it be to disprove this and should I get a lawyer now or wait and see if she isn't just trying to get money out of me.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
Ok so this girl that I had been dating for about two months I just decided we weren't working out because she was 18 and I'm 22. When I told her that it wasn't working she texted me saying that she was only 16 which is bad but not illegal according to ORC 2907.04 (A) No person who is eighteen years of age or older shall engage in sexual conduct with another, who is not the spouse of the offender, when the offender knows the other person is thirteen years of age or older but less than sixteen years of age, or the offender is reckless in that regard. But now she wants money or she's going to accuse me of rape, this is all in text message so I have it all saved but if she does falsely accuse me of rape how hard will it be to disprove this and should I get a lawyer now or wait and see if she isn't just trying to get money out of me.
Was she sixteen when you started dating? If so, then that does NOT apply, because she was not LESS THAN 16 years of age. Take the text message to the police and file a criminal report against her for blackmail.

Victoryrider

She was 16 as far as I know, until two days ago I thought she was 18 almost 19. I'm not overtly worried about that, its these false accusations of rape that are troubling me

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
She was 16 as far as I know, until two days ago I thought she was 18 almost 19. I'm not overtly worried about that, its these false accusations of rape that are troubling me
File a complaint with the police regarding her blackmail attempts.

Victoryrider

So last question, Her being 16 does mean that she was legal correct? In the future I'll just find girls that are closer to my own age, because this has been nothing more than a nightmare from beginning to end

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So last question, Her being 16 does mean that she was legal correct? In the future I'll just find girls that are closer to my own age, because this has been nothing more than a nightmare from beginning to end
Age of consent in Ohio is 16. However if you were her teacher or in some sort of authority over her (a coach, minister, doctor, or something of that nature) you have issues.

swalsh411

How do you know how old she actually is? I would go to the police right now with the text message and nip it in the bud. At the very least it should teach this girl a lesson.

Victoryrider

No I have no affiliation with her, she was saying she was supporting herself with social security until she turned 19 from when her father died, I know that it lasts that long because I had a friend in the same situation. My question is what if she is actually 16, I have no proof that she is or isn't just that if she is then everything she ever told me is a lie.

dave33

No I have no affiliation with her, she was saying she was supporting herself with social security until she turned 19 from when her father died, I know that it lasts that long because I had a friend in the same situation. My question is what if she is actually 16, I have no proof that she is or isn't just that if she is then everything she ever told me is a lie.
If you have the money and fear she may do the things she threatens, retain an attorney. You will start by explaining the situation as you have here.
Most if not all criminal defense attorneys have a detective or an agency they employ. The attorney will ask the detective to get accurate information
concerning the girl. Than, after getting reliable information you and the attorney will decide what is the best course of action.

This of course will not be cheap.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter. She has used the telephone to engage in an extortion scheme. If you're afraid to go to the local police go to your local FBI field office. Little, easy to prove extortion cases like this are their bread and butter and they won't give a hoot about your state's statutory rape laws. So head in there with your telephone, tell the Special Agent that you're being blackmailed and would like to discuss your options. They will help you from there.

DO NOT let her get away with this. Her conduct is outrageous to put you through such emotional turmoil after simply ending a relationship and she should pay the price for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">