• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP, 20 years old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cantthinkofone

What is the name of your state? michigan
A friend of mine got an MIP....they are 20 and 11 months. Come on! I can see if a 15 or 16 year old is stumbling around drunk getting an MIP but a person who turns 21 in one month!? How could a cop be that much of an *******? Anyways, there is a court date and all that stuff, does it sound like the judge would be a little forgiving and dismiss this?

S

sdstrooper

As picky as it may be, the law is still the law. The law states that you have to be 21, not "close" to 21. But if the judge is sympathetic enough, your friend may have a shot at dismissal.

HomeGuru

Cantthinkofone said:
What is the name of your state? michigan
A friend of mine got an MIP....they are 20 and 11 months. Come on! I can see if a 15 or 16 year old is stumbling around drunk getting an MIP but a person who turns 21 in one month!? How could a cop be that much of an *******? Anyways, there is a court date and all that stuff, does it sound like the judge would be a little forgiving and dismiss this?
**A: I agree that the cop did his/her job although you feel otherwise. The Michigan law is very clear. Read it sometime.

C

Cantthinkofone

Wenwas-What happened to the guy with the MIP three days before turning 21?

And yes, the cop was doing their job but the police also have a little something called discretion. In this instance, his decision seems to be a poor one for giving the ticket. Now time is going to be tied up hearing this stupid case.

I understand why the law is there. But someone who is almost 21 and is drunk it not a major issue. 15, 16, 17 yeah that is legit and someone that old caught drinking should be given the ticket.

But yeah, I just think it's dumb, and there is nothing he can do about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">