• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misappropriation of funds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

avenger777

What is the name of your state? California

I was working for a company here in California whose main office is in Texas. I was in construction and was given a company check book for writting permits and fees at the County. I at times would write a check from my own account to cover the cost and then would write a check from the contracting account to myself to cover the cost. I did not have permission to do this and I left the company , on my own, six months ago. I know am getting a letter asking for restitution of $4265 and I cannot prove which were legit. I am ready to just send a money order to pay it. My question is as a norm will they also seek criminal prosecution or just restitution. I am a retired vet and worked for the company for 7 years before moving on. It looks bad but I need advise.
Thanks

stephenk

why would you want to pay over $4k for something you claim you do not owe?

Dont you have copies of your old checks? If no, call your bank and meet with a representative to get copies of the checks you wrote for the permits and fees for the company.

When you wrote the checks from your own account to pay for permits, etc. didnt you get receipts from the county, city or state agencies? Those receipts should still be with your former employer and most receipts note the method of payment and check numbers.

A

avenger777

The truth is that only a couple of the transactions were legit but the others were not. I am just trying to come clean and pay.
The letter said pay $4265 or explain then it was followed by a statement that said the company policy was to prosecute any misappropriation. I know the logical answer is to call and ask what thier game plan is but lets face it..it was not a logical decision that led me to this point. When I began with the company seven years ago it was common practice to reimburse yourself for expenditures. I only (not an excuse) "strayed" over the last 6 months

S

soldierboyzzz

Next time you will learn how to properly steal from a company.

Like you hire a new employee 2 weeks before inventory, and lo and behold stuff is missing, blame it on the new employee who has the keys.

see?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

soldierboyzzz

My comment:

Don't you get tired of being kicked off these forums?

Why do you persist in coming to a place where you're not wanted?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">