• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdeamenor Theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trina6260

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My ex fiance and I got into an argument a couple weeks ago and he took my cell phone and left.
I called the police and told them he had stolen my phone. I had a witness to this, so the State Of MD is charging him with theft.
At first he told me that he has 2 friends (who were also with him at the time) who will testfiy that he did not take the phone. So I figured if he has 2 witnesses and I only have 1, it looks like Im lying. He was going to fight it as much as he could.
But now he has contacted my mother and would like to arrange a time for him and my mother to meet where he will return my phone to my mother and have her sign a paper saying that she received it.
My question is...if he returns the phone to my mother, what do I do? Will he still be charged with theft or will the State drop the charges since I got the phone back?

seniorjudge

Q: Will he still be charged with theft or will the State drop the charges since I got the phone back?

A: Yes...or, at least, he should be. Restitution doesn't make the crime go away.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">