• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it a misdemeanor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mowil

What is the name of your state? washington

I am preparing to take a polygraph (for a government job). About 3 years ago, in a fit of poor judgement, I found a wallet in a mall store. Instead of turning it in, I kept it and the $$ inside. After a few days, I called the store and told them I wanted to return it. I was never charged. The polygraph administrator will most likely ask me if I have ever committed any misdemeanors. Does this qualify?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Oh, man . . . you are so screwed.

This is one of those "what goes around comes around" situations. It's now "coming around" for you.

IAAL

H

hmmbrdzz

The issue is whether or not you're lying -- not whether taking the money from the wallet qualifies as a crime. You didn't get charged, but if you flat out lie about this incident during any questioning that may or may not come about it, you'll be -- well, lying. I can't instruct you how to answer any questions, but I can safely instruct you "don't lie". Maybe someone who's more familiar with the administration and line of questioning will be able to help you more here with respect to this incident and upcoming test and questioning, but if not -- that's the best I can do.

Good luck.

hmmbrdzz

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

JETX said:
No. Though you did have a lapse of better judgment, you were not charged.

Dear JETX - -

While our writer wasn't "charged", the question our writer had was "have I ever committed a misdemeanor". You see, the polygraph is going to pick up on our writer's "consciousness of guilt" because our writer knows that "the crime" was the equivalent of a misdemeanor.

That's where our writer is going to get slammed by the polygraph.

IAAL

H

hmmbrdzz

IAAL: We must have been posting our first notes at the same time. When I read the original, I said "hmmm.... now I don't want to scare the he** out of this kid -- how can I tell him what he might need to know without making him stay awake all night!"

hmmbrdzz

M

mowil

well, is it a misdemeanor or not?

IAAL,

you've had the most challenging advice- so I ask you- is it a actual misdemeanor crime? if I just assumed from what you wrote, I would have guessed yes. I want to be honest, but I also want this job. I KNOW I can't lie on a polygraph and I just want to understand the severity of my crime.

JETX

Though I understand your intent, I still stand by the fact that by not returning the wallet immediately (and actually returning it later) is NOT a misdemeanor. No more than speeding in your car and not getting caught is NOT a misdemeanor. If these 'thoughts or actions' without apprehension were in fact 'crimes', the prisons would be full and we would have 'thought police'.

As for the polygraph, the question wasn't will I pass the test, it was do I have to report this incident as being a misdemeanor. He doesn't. I do also agree that just the thought that this MIGHT have been classified as such, and the trepidations it causes, will very likely show up on the polygraph. So, the solution is to bring it up first.... explain that you were young and had a 'slip of conscience', but later corrected the error on your own.

Finally, contrary to the belief of "Meet the Folks", polygraphs are very easily 'beatable'. They work off of your reaction (shock, surprise, inner guilt) of a question. So, if you go into the test fully convinced of your innocence, or fully aware of the expectation of that question, it can easily be duped. Done all the time. Just expect the question.

Last edited:
M

mowil

THANKS JETX!!!

Thanks so much for your help. I am truly grateful for your response- and for the time it took to fashion that response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">