• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

misdemeanor citation for shoplifting(need urgent help)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zacharamiz

What is the name of your state? memphis,tennessee

I am an international student on F-1 status! I have recently done the most dumbest thing of my life which I am repenting for and having scary days and nights and worried would haunt me through my life here in US.
I was given a misdemeaor citation for shoplifting ($70 worth) recently last week at a major store in memphis,tn the place i live and have my court dates next month.
And after pleading the store to leave me they have given me a Merchant restitution form which they said I should submit on the day of court and pay the amount so that they would take their charges back.

But would this still leave a misdemeanor citation on me and also a possibility for me to be convicted or the case would be dismissed or else is there a way out for dismissing the case?

I spoke to a lawer and he said that the case would be dismissed right away because of the merchant restitution form. is this really possible?????? or would be it dismissed only after i finish the diversion if i get one???????

but the worst part is that I have my tickets booked for my country as I have to go visit my mother who is ill and would return only after the court date.

I have been told that I can postpone the court date to a later date.

So is it possible for me to go ahead with my trip provided if I am able to postpone the court date .

zacharamiz

Thank you so much Sir!
I have spoken to two lawyers and they said that the case would be dismissed right away on my first court appearnce if by then we are done with paying the merchant restitution.
and also few say that it is too gud to beleive that it would be dismissed like that.
so please advice me if this is really true that it would be dismissed.

Thanks in advance

HappyHusband

Thank you so much Sir!
I have spoken to two lawyers and they said that the case would be dismissed right away on my first court appearnce if by then we are done with paying the merchant restitution.
and also few say that it is too gud to beleive that it would be dismissed like that.
so please advice me if this is really true that it would be dismissed.

Thanks in advance
Say, what's that citation going to do to your F-1 status?

zacharamiz

I am not sure what its gonna do to my F-1 status, but from what I read so far,
since I have a chance that it can be dismissed and expunged, since its a misdemeanor citation and first time non-immigrants are considered exceptions for once but however there is a risk involved and its a case of moral turpitude.

pandaKG

I am VERY interested in how you were able to get this court case dismissed! I have a friend who is a FIRST-TIME offender, never had illegal activity before, and had shoplifted close to $50 from a major store here in Michigan. Now she has been called to court to face a judge, but has ALSO been made to pay a fine to the STORE of $250! I would love to know how you are able to get your case dismissed by simply paying the store for the merchandise???

quincy

pandaKG, the person who started this thread (zacharamiz, an international student) came to the forum in 2006 to ask his question. I am pretty sure he is not around now to answer yours.

Plus, he was charged in Tennessee, which is not Michigan. The laws in each state vary, often in significant ways.

You may wish to keep your questions and concerns confined to your own thread and if anyone can help you, they will help you there.

Thanks. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">