• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor and Medical School.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raven Feather

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I tried searching on the FAQ about this question but I didnt find a match.

12 years ago, when I just turned 18 I got into a squabble with another girl. I smacked her after she called me a fowl word in the presence of the police. I truly didnt realize this was something I could get arrested for at that time. Well, I was convicted of class A misdemeanor battery, attended anger mangagement courses, and successfully compeleted my 6 month or 1 yr unsupervised probation (cant even remember the punishment). Since then Ive never been convicted of any crime have no parking violations or speeding tickets.

Since then I have worked as a correctional officer, substitute teacher, and am a licensed healthcare professional. My problem is I am currently applying to medical school and it asks me if I have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor. I feel that if I answer yes, I will be discriminated against after I have worked so hard at this goal. If I am remembering correctly, my last background check in 1998 didnt show up anything, what should I do? Will it show up?

TYRIS

Raven Feather said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

I tried searching on the FAQ about this question but I didnt find a match.

12 years ago, when I just turned 18 I got into a squabble with another girl. I smacked her after she called me a fowl word in the presence of the police. I truly didnt realize this was something I could get arrested for at that time. Well, I was convicted of class A misdemeanor battery, attended anger mangagement courses, and successfully compeleted my 6 month or 1 yr unsupervised probation (cant even remember the punishment). Since then Ive never been convicted of any crime have no parking violations or speeding tickets.

Since then I have worked as a correctional officer, substitute teacher, and am a licensed healthcare professional. My problem is I am currently applying to medical school and it asks me if I have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor. I feel that if I answer yes, I will be discriminated against after I have worked so hard at this goal. If I am remembering correctly, my last background check in 1998 didnt show up anything, what should I do? Will it show up?

-Criminal histories that show convictions are public record. You can check your own record to see if it comes up. It should be the same records check that the medical school would use. If it doesn't come up I wouldn't worry about.

Tyris

Raven Feather

I had a friend of mine whose friend is a detective in my cty, run a M3I3 and some other query from the police stations and he said nothing came up. Maybe this was absolved and Im just not aware of it since I dont remember much about what happened at court, what other reason could it noe be showing up?

TYRIS

Raven Feather said:
I had a friend of mine whose friend is a detective in my cty, run a M3I3 and some other query from the police stations and he said nothing came up. Maybe this was absolved and Im just not aware of it since I dont remember much about what happened at court, what other reason could it noe be showing up?

-If your friend at the Police Department ran a history check on you and nothing came up your probably safe. More than likely after you completed your terms of probation it was expunged.

Type "Criminal history check" into any search engine and it will come up with plenty of web sites that you can use to check a criminal history for a fee.

Tyris

Labtec600

I may be wrong, but to me if you got a job as a correctional officer, the criminal justice field, with this charge, it shouldnt be a problem for the medical field.

But I dont know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">