• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it a misdemeanor or petty offense????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wandering1

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

After a traffic stop in Columbia, I was giving a citation for possession of paraphanalia (sp?) . I went to court, plead guilty, paid a fine, and turned in my license. I was never arrested or fingerprinted.
Is this considered a misdemeanor? Is it a petty offense? Is it a traffic violation/citation? Help!!!
I am applying for a job that does criminal background investigation complete with fingerprints sent to the FBI (its in California). It is not a federal job. It asks "Have you ever been convicted of any offense other than minor traffic violations?".... "You must include misdemeanor as well as felony convictions." How do I answer?

Happy Trails

wandering1 said:
What is the name of your state? South Carolina

After a traffic stop in Columbia, I was giving a citation for possession of paraphanalia (sp?) . I went to court, plead guilty, paid a fine, and turned in my license. I was never arrested or fingerprinted.
Is this considered a misdemeanor? Is it a petty offense? Is it a traffic violation/citation? Help!!!
I am applying for a job that does criminal background investigation complete with fingerprints sent to the FBI (its in California). It is not a federal job. It asks "Have you ever been convicted of any offense other than minor traffic violations?".... "You must include misdemeanor as well as felony convictions." How do I answer?
It is not a traffic citation (nice try though).

It is a citation for possession of paraphernalia.

wandering1

I found the public record online. The charge was listed as "Minor possesion of marijuana". Is this a misdemeanor?
BTW - no need for sarcasm. I had never been in any kind of trouble before or since, so I'm not that personally familiar with the legal system and I don't know the semantics here.

Happy Trails

wandering1 said:
I found the public record online. The charge was listed as "Minor possesion of marijuana". Is this a misdemeanor?
BTW - no need for sarcasm. I had never been in any kind of trouble before or since, so I'm not that personally familiar with the legal system and I don't know the semantics here.
Yes, it is a misdemeanor.

BTW, I just found it funny that you thought a drug charge may fall under a traffic violation/citation.

Come on now, think about it.

That's funny isn't it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">