• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor shoplifting in GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zygon

What is the name of your state? GA

Hello,
I was caught with merchandise on my person at Target. I was detained asked about what else I had taken. I was also shown a closed circuit camera image of me walking into the store two months prior to the detainment.

I was nervous, so I disclosed what I had taken and agreed to everything they accused me of taking. The total amount came to $218

I have two questions -

1. I received in the mail a statement requiring me to pay $603 to Target. Not sure why that would be, because even with the $150 added to it - it does not come to that number, and the statement includes a list of merchandize which totals to $223.62. I read somewhere that the store can charge you either the $150 or double the property which would be $670. Is there something wrong with this number?

2. I was taken into custody and processed at the Atlanta Jail. I was then released on a signature bond. But I have not heard back from them about a court date. They said if I do not hear back within three months I can ask for an expungement - is that a common occurance ? So far about 3 weeks have passed.

What is my best course of action? Should I call the court? Should I retain the services of a lawyer? If so, do I do that now, or when I have a court notice ?

This is my first time offense.. what actions can I take to convince the judge that it was a lapse in judgement and will not happen again ? (sorry that was 3 questions)

thanksWhat is the name of your state?

What is the name of your state? GA

Hello,
I was caught with merchandise on my person at Target. I was detained asked about what else I had taken. I was also shown a closed circuit camera image of me walking into the store two months prior to the detainment.

I was nervous, so I disclosed what I had taken and agreed to everything they accused me of taking. The total amount came to $218

I have two questions -

1. I received in the mail a statement requiring me to pay $603 to Target. Not sure why that would be, because even with the $150 added to it - it does not come to that number, and the statement includes a list of merchandize which totals to $223.62. I read somewhere that the store can charge you either the $150 or double the property which would be $670. Is there something wrong with this number?This called Civil Demand and if you dont pay they can sue you for even more.

2. I was taken into custody and processed at the Atlanta Jail. I was then released on a signature bond. But I have not heard back from them about a court date. They said if I do not hear back within three months I can ask for an expungement - is that a common occurance ? So far about 3 weeks have passed.Don't assume anything call teh courthouse!

What is my best course of action? Should I call the court? Should I retain the services of a lawyer? If so, do I do that now, or when I have a court notice ?

This is my first time offense.. what actions can I take to convince the judge that it was a lapse in judgement and will not happen again ? (sorry that was 3 questions)

thanksWhat is the name of your state?
It is always a good idea to contact an Attorney when facing criminal charges so yes contact an Attorney. "Laspe of judgement" don't make me laugh!:rolleyes: You stole on more than one occasion! Have your Attorney check on Diversions program if you qualify you could keep a conviction off your record. The most common (dont quote me) for first time shoplift offense is again its not guranteed

. Probation
. Fines
. Community Service
. Ban from store

Keep in mind the Civil Demand has nothing to do with court or nay criminal fines you pay be asked to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">