• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor Trespassing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drewboy85

A friend and I were issued what I believe is a desk appearance ticket? We had decided to go for a walk in Central Park, NYC. (yeah I know dumb idea...) And we were unaware of the hour restrictions, and the penalties of violation of these restrictions. Neither of us is from the city, and I am from out of state. And there was no sign. It appears based on the Park's site that ANY violation of a park regulation is a misdemeanor. The officer claimed it was relatively minor infraction and generally gets dismissed, or a small fine, but this is the guy who issued the ticket in the first place. How worried should I be about this? It just seems ridiculous to me that anyone wouldn’t just dismiss these charges. Or give a conditional discharge, my primary concern is a mark on my clean record. Is it likely that a Judge would simply dismiss a charge such as this at my arraignment date? My friend and I both have completely clean records, and go to college in upstate NY. I don’t think I can afford to pay a lawyer. Would it be possible to try a public defender for the first court date, the arraignment, and if I can't get it dismissed then locate a lawyer? I'd really like to get this behind me. Thanks!What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">