• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanors and the Workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hobbie

What is the name of your state? NJ

If my mother, a women aged 45+, was arrested for being drunk and disorderly, as well as hindering the arrest of her drunken boyfriend that assaulted me. Will those two misdeamenors affect her job where she has been working for like 20 years? The police officers allowed me to hold her and try to keep her calm, but when it got too much they took her in, she did not assult them or hit them in anyway, but was just yelling and crying in an obviously drunken manner. I am just wondering if, and i hope it won't, if it could affect her job, and if possible what sort of punitive measures if any she should expect as punishment for her actions.

Thank You

justalayman

hobbie said:
What is the name of your state? NJ

If my mother, a women aged 45+, was arrested for being drunk and disorderly, as well as hindering the arrest of her drunken boyfriend that assaulted me. Will those two misdeamenors affect her job where she has been working for like 20 years? The police officers allowed me to hold her and try to keep her calm, but when it got too much they took her in, she did not assult them or hit them in anyway, but was just yelling and crying in an obviously drunken manner. I am just wondering if, and i hope it won't, if it could affect her job, and if possible what sort of punitive measures if any she should expect as punishment for her actions.

Thank You
New Jersey is an "employment at will" state and employers can release, fire, terminate, lay-off, kick to the curb etc. employess at any time and for any reason as long as it is not for a discriminatory reason.

So it is simply up to her employer to make the call.

hobbie

ahh, i should have clarified, we live in New Jersey, but my mother works in New York for Verizon.

Just to clarify, you are saying the misdeameanor will be reported to her workplace (even with her working in NY)?

justalayman

hobbie said:
ahh, i should have clarified, we live in New Jersey, but my mother works in New York for Verizon.

Just to clarify, you are saying the misdeameanor will be reported to her workplace (even with her working in NY)?
I don't think the courts just call up employers and say " hey! did you know so and so did this and that". There is no reason for the courts to report it to her place of employment BUT it seems things like this do get around, eventually.

If and when her employer finds out, they can take whatever action they deem proper.
Hopefully this is a once in a lifetime event and can be accepted as such.

The other thing that comes to mind; is she a member of a union. If so the rules of her CBA would probably come in to play at some point.

justalayman

hobbie said:
yes, she is definately in a union
The rules of her CBA would give you and her the best idea of what protections she may have concerning this situation. Like I said before, without the union agreement, the employer can use its' discretion in retaining or firing your mom.

The CBA would probably offer her more protections. That is something you will need to research independently as I have no idea what is in her CBA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">