• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing Persons Report Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmoschetti45

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I'm 18, and plan on going on vacation for a few days. The parents have a problem with that, and have made it clear they are going to file a missing persons report if I go. I'm going to go anyways, but can I like report myself as not missing first or something like that? And if not, can I press charges for fraud if they file one?

fairisfair

hello, you are 18, not 8. Leave messages with other family and friends that you are going out of town, that way, if they do something that idiotic it won't take long for the police to find out. As for pressing charges, you don't press charges, only the prosecutor does that. I would imagine that if they file a false police report, someone will have something to say about that.

Apparently, you should be more worried about them changing the locks while you are gone. I take it you are still living at home??

CdwJava

With any luck they will tell the officers that you are vacationing when they try to report you missing.

OFFICER: "So ... he's on vacation and you know where he is?"

PARENT: "Yes."

OFFICER: "Then ... he's ... uh ... he's not 'missing', is he?"

PARENT: "He went without our permission!"

OFFICER: "Uh ... he's an adult, he doesn't need your permission."

(Sounds of ripping note paper in the background.)

OFFICER: "Have a nice day."

- Carl

CdwJava

As fairisfair postulated, be prepared to have your things on the porch and in need of a new living arrangement when you get back.

You are an adult. If there are consequences to your adult actions, be prepared to accept them or be ready to change your plans to accomodate your parents.

Why are they objecting to this vacation of yours?

- Carl

CdwJava

From a read of your previous posts, it is apparent that your parents are controlling ... or, that you are out of control and they are attempting to rein you in for your own good.

In any event, it sounds like it is time to get a job and move out.

By the way ... if your parents have prevented you from getting a job, HOW are you paying for a vacation?

- Carl

jmoschetti45

I'm not worried about being kicked out of the house, thats the last thing they'd do, they don't want to lose control of me.

The vacation is pretty much free (except for food and such), going to a friends for a few days.

jmoschetti45

CdwJava said:
Why are they objecting to this vacation of yours?
They don't want me out of the house period. Until I was 18, I got out maybe 3 or 4 hours a week besides school. Sadly, even though I'm 18, I still don't get much more time out. I haven't spent a night out of the house (except for sneaking out) since 5th grade. They are just too controlling, and still think they can make me do whatever they want even though I'm 18 now.

CdwJava

Why don't you just move out, then?

I remember when my parents hit me with a curfew even at the age of 22 ... I moved out ... unfortunately, I suddenly discovered the REAL cost of living. Their argument was (and it makes sense to me now) that as long as I live under their roof, I live under their rules. And I later learned just how much sense their rules really did make.

Now, I am in no position to decide if your parents are controlling or if you are too rebellious. My gut feeling is they are exerting too much control, but I have no idea what their side of the tale would contain. And if they are controlling, moving out might be the best thing for you.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">