• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom Caught Shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mrsauceman

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY, Suffolk County

Yesterday afternoon I got a call on my cell phone..

it was my Mother, she was at CVS and being arrested for shoplifting a bottle of Ex-lax. I was around the corner, and I got there in time to speak with the arresting officer, who told it it would be a waste of time talking to the store manager who was pressing the charge, because the store has "zero tolerance" for shoplifting.

So...she was arrested, brought down to the local police station, processed, and released ROR in about 20 minutes. She is due to appear in court tonight, I am assuming it is to meet with an ADA, and to enter a plea....

My mother is 60 years old, and has no previous criminal record, she said she did this "on impulse" and has never done it before. Here are my questions..

1) Should I be getting her an attorney ?

2) What is the likely penalty or fine that would be imposed if she pleads guilty?

3) According to her, she was never read her Miranda rights, is this grounds for dissmissal, or is that only done on TV ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">