• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money Confiscated at Poker Game

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhiteCollarCrim

What is the name of your state? NY
Another Question: NJ

1. I know people who have been at poker clubs in NYC when they have been raided by police and shut down. While the owners and employees of the clubs were arrested, the players were merely ID'd and released. Any money the players had on the table was confiscated.

Can these people get their money back? How would they go about it?

2. I know of a couple of poker players who were at poker clubs in NJ that were raided. They were treated similar to above except they were also frisked and any money on thier person was also confiscated. In at least one case, I heard the Prosecuter filed a lawsuit suing the players for the confiscated money. The story from a player who was there is here: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=6517480

WhiteCollarCrim

xlene,

1. Your speculation that I was playing is incorrect. But anyway, what's the difference in relation to the OP Question.

2. I made no mention of stakes, however the games typically spread are at what is considered low-stakes. Anyway, what do the level of stakes have to do with the question of confiscation?

3. For your information, it is not illegal in NYS or NJ to play poker, although it is illegal to run a game for profit. i.e. with a raked pot or time charge.

4. If anyone wanted to consult a lawyer in private, why would this forum exist?

5. I see you have 671 posts to date. The above is the only one I've read but I wonder if it is typical of the nature and quality of your responses.

To the Moderators: Same as question 5 and if the answer is yes, why is he permitted to post on these boards?

xylene

WhiteCollarCrim said:
xlene,

1. Your speculation that I was playing is incorrect. But anyway, what's the difference in relation to the OP Question.
Well then since NONE of this happened to YOU, YOU are not in a position to provide any clarifying information such as what receipts were provided and/or what happened when the police were contract concerning the money. :rolleyes:

2. I made no mention of stakes, however the games typically spread are at what is considered low-stakes. Anyway, what do the level of stakes have to do with the question of confiscation?
Simple economics. DUH. I am not going to spend hours of my time at $50 an hour to secure the return of 20 dollars...

And no I DO NOT know the standards for stakes in poker. I am not up on low brow pedestrian games of chance.

3. For your information, it is not illegal in NYS or NJ to play poker, although it is illegal to run a game for profit. i.e. with a raked pot or time charge.
:rolleyes:

4. If anyone wanted to consult a lawyer in private, why would this forum exist?
:D

To gather preliminary information.

To gain from the experience of other CONSUMERS who have been in the same or similar circumstances.
5. I see you have 671 posts to date. The above is the only one I've read but I wonder if it is typical of the nature and quality of your responses.
It is typical of my posts. Shot from the hip, and as it is here, often on target.

To the Moderators: Same as question 5 and if the answer is yes, why is he permitted to post on these boards?
:( I've been outted, I'd better slink back into my little hole and die. :D

CdwJava

Contact the agency that seized the money and ask for the procedures to claim some of the money. However, if the money was seized as part of a criminal enterprise of some type (and apparently it was) then don't expect to get it back.

This is a risk one runs when playing unlawful poker games. And I miagine SOMETHING was unlawful about the game or why would the police have bothered to raid the place?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">