• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

money laundering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pherb21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina: neighbor was laid off some months ago and started her own house cleaning business. She asks me to cash some of the checks she gets in payment. I know that she discussed filing for UI and disability but do not know if she did, or if she collected. Either way, I feel like I am laundering her off-the-books earnings. Can some knowledge of her activity be imputed to me, and am I breaking the law?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina: neighbor was laid off some months ago and started her own house cleaning business. She asks me to cash some of the checks she gets in payment. I know that she discussed filing for UI and disability but do not know if she did, or if she collected. Either way, I feel like I am laundering her off-the-books earnings. Can some knowledge of her activity be imputed to me, and am I breaking the law?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Unless you can say that the source of the funds is from illegal activity, then you are not laudering money.

You are doing a stupid thing by cashing her checks, but you are not doing anything illegal. The one thing you are doing is putting your own financial health at risk. If these checks come back for any reason, they will debit your account and hold you resonsible for the money. If these checks turn out to be fraudulent the bank will close your account out faster than you can spit.

cyjeff

Unless you can say that the source of the funds is from illegal activity, then you are not laudering money.
That may not be strictly correct.

If the purpose of the transaction was to keep the IRS from seeing where the checks were cashed in an effort to avoid paying taxes on that income, this could be money laundering.

OP, are YOU prepared to pay income taxes on these amounts? If not, tell your friend to cash her own checks.

Antigone*

That may not be strictly correct.

If the purpose of the transaction was to keep the IRS from seeing where the checks were cashed in an effort to avoid paying taxes on that income, this could be money laundering.

OP, are YOU prepared to pay income taxes on these amounts? If not, tell your friend to cash her own checks.
cyjeff, that would be tax evasion. Money laudering is the process of taking proceeds from criminal activity and making them appear legal.

I deal with this day in and day out ~ believe me;)

justalayman

cyjeff, that would be tax evasion. Money laudering is the process of taking proceeds from criminal activity and making them appear legal.

I deal with this day in and day out ~ believe me;)
and you admit it on a public forum??!!?. Anti, I have always believed you to be smarter than that. Most criminals get caught by their own dumb acts or admissions and here you are admitting you deal with money laundering every day.:p

Antigone*

and you admit it on a public forum??!!?. Anti, I have always believed you to be smarter than that. Most criminals get caught by their own dumb acts or admissions and here you are admitting you deal with money laundering every day.:p
LOL, Just. I'm one of the good guys. In fact we just finished yanking 1.8mm from one of the bad guys accounts.

These people structure their deposits and think they'll get away with it. Hellooooo McFly ~ no way in haedes!!!

justalayman

LOL, Just. I'm one of the good guys. In fact we just finished yanking 1.8mm from one of the bad guys accounts.

These people structure their deposits and think they'll get away with it. Hellooooo McFly ~ no way in haedes!!!
so, what do you do with the money when you remove $1.5 M from such an account? I mean, taking $1.3M must be a really large bundle of cash. I think the cops would crap when I handed them $1.1M.

So, do you have any of that $12.95 left?

Antigone*

so, what do you do with the money when you remove $1.5 M from such an account? I mean, taking $1.3M must be a really large bundle of cash. I think the cops would crap when I handed them $1.1M.

So, do you have any of that $12.95 left?
It was 1.8mm. Homeland Security took a measly cashiers' check with them. We stuck it in an envelope. The agent said thanks and put it in his laptop case.

The people who "pooped" were the clients who called asking what happened to their money the next morning.

The 12.95 was my commission for cutting the cashiers' check.

justalayman

It was 1.8mm. Homeland Security took a measly cashiers' check with them. We stuck it in an envelope. The agent said thanks and put it in his laptop case.

The people who "pooped" were the clients who called asking what happened to their money the next morning.

The 12.95 was my commission for cutting the cashiers' check.
You don't read Fark, do you?

That is a common line when he talks about a story where the cops found 100 pounds of pot. The desk sergeant is amazed when they show him the 75 pounds of pot they seized. The evidence room guy is equally impressed when he sees the 50 pounds of pot seized and so on...

Antigone*

You don't read Fark, do you?

That is a common line when he talks about a story where the cops found 100 pounds of pot. The desk sergeant is amazed when they show him the 75 pounds of pot they seized. The evidence room guy is equally impressed when he sees the 50 pounds of pot seized and so on...
I have to admit Just ~ I've never farked in my life:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">