• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money Laundring?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Madossa

The case is a little tricky.

A eurpean union national on visit in the US is sending money via telegraphic transfer to an employee overseas. The money is used in a large scale scam operation the employee had no knowledge of. The empoyee is arrested and charged in a 3rd world country, spending more than a year behind bars. Since the money was send for a crime overseas from the US can the person sending the money be charged in the states? I think it could be considered money laundring, or?

quincy

The case is a little tricky.

A eurpean union national on visit in the US is sending money via telegraphic transfer to an employee overseas. The money is used in a large scale scam operation the employee had no knowledge of. The empoyee is arrested and charged in a 3rd world country, spending more than a year behind bars. Since the money was send for a crime overseas from the US can the person sending the money be charged in the states? I think it could be considered money laundring, or?
Who are you in all of this, Madossa, and in what US state do you reside?

Madossa

I was the employee. I am not a US citizen and I am not living in the states. I was hired as a network technician and send to north africa for work by a german based company. The company owners are involved in a large scam, the damage is high. I mean roughly 50-100 Million Euro a year. The company owners operate from Germany and California, but I received only one wire from Texas once via Moneygram and the amount was just 2,000US$. I still have a copy of the wire. Within 2 years of work for the company I received a total of more than 100,000 Euro via Moneygram etc, but mostly from Germany or other EU countries. However the German police is investigating the case already, but they are so slow. A lawyer told me it could take several years before it ends up in court or will be filed forever with no results.

OHRoadwarrior

Then you are involved in the scam. You have made multiple transfers and not reported the incident to police in any country it is taking place.

Madossa

The entire company employee had no knowledge of the scam, me also. I never send money abroad, just received it for "company expenses" overseas. Only when I was arrested and convicted I knew its a scam. After my return to Europe I have informed the police here.

OHRoadwarrior

Then it is unlikely the US would again prosecute you for the same thing as you were a minor player and reported it, were convicted and payed your debt for it.

Madossa

Then it is unlikely the US would again prosecute you for the same thing as you were a minor player and reported it, were convicted and payed your debt for it.
Yes is true, I can never ever be prosecuted for it, same rule in Germany. But the people behind the scam, who send me also the money from Texas, are still operating and I want them to be prosecuted in the US because they send money from US soil abroad for criminal activities. Since the persons in question are regulary in the states and operate also from there, is it possible to sue them?

OHRoadwarrior

You cannot sue criminals because you got caught in the crime ring. You can report their activities to the States Atty. General in all states they are doing this online and they will investigate and handle the issue, even if they bring in the Feds' to do it.

Madossa

Yes, I want it to the police in the USA. The problem is I am not sure the money was send from Texas, cause its 2 years ago. But I still have the document along the email with an instruction to buy stuff for company that was used in the scam operation. Since I am living also abroad, might it be better to report it directly to the Feds?

The crime case in Germany is little diffrent. What happened to me is considered false imprisonment by German law. Its a crime here to involve a person into a crime without his knowledge leading to his arrest.

Last edited:

quincy

Yes, I want it to the police in the USA. The problem is I am not sure the money was send from Texas, cause its 2 years ago. But I still have the document along the email with an instruction to buy stuff for company that was used in the scam operation. Since I am living also abroad, might it be better to report it directly to the Feds?

The crime case in Germany is little diffrent. What happened to me is considered false imprisonment by German law. Its a crime here to involve a person into a crime without his knowledge leading to his arrest.
If you have already been convicted of a crime connected to the scam operation, and if you have already served time in Germany for your role in the scam, there does not appear to be anything more for you to do. There is no need for you to report anything to anyone and there is no civil action available for you to take against the US company that employed you. You played a role in the scam, unwittingly or not, and you paid the price for it under German law.

If you feel you were wrongfully convicted, however, you need a lawyer in Germany to assist you.

I am pretty sure that, if there is already an investigation by German authorities into this Texas-based "scam" operation, the US is aware of it and cooperating with the investigation.

Madossa

I am pretty sure that, if there is already an investigation by German authorities into this Texas-based "scam" operation, the US is aware of it and cooperating with the investigation.
I was convicted in a north african country not in Germany and not convicted under German law. I served my time in a concentration camp in the Sahara desert.

I seriously doubt that the German authorities do anything in this matter. Even if, it can take years and the criminals are still sending people abroad unknowingly involving them into the scam. Those people will also get arrested abroad. I think its almost 1,000 or more people involved in the scam who dont know whats going on.

You may have seen the news about what happened in Cologne on New Years Day. The German police is drinking coffee and let the criminals run. Even when woman got raped in front of the Cologne cathedral they didnt respond.

Its a matter of fact that the criminals behind the scam are operating from the USA also. And they also send money abroad from the USA to finance crimes. From what I know the american police is working faster and better than the German, because slower than the Germans its not possible.

quincy

I was convicted in a north african country not in Germany and not convicted under German law. I served my time in a concentration camp in the Sahara desert.

I seriously doubt that the German authorities do anything in this matter. Even if, it can take years and the criminals are still sending people abroad unknowingly involving them into the scam. Those people will also get arrested abroad. I think its almost 1,000 or more people involved in the scam who dont know whats going on.

You may have seen the news about what happened in Cologne on New Years Day. The German police is drinking coffee and let the criminals run. Even when woman got raped in front of the Cologne cathedral they didnt respond.

Its a matter of fact that the criminals behind the scam are operating from the USA also. And they also send money abroad from the USA to finance crimes. From what I know the american police is working faster and better than the German, because slower than the Germans its not possible.
Okay. So you were convicted for your role in the scam in an unnamed North African country under this country's laws, and you served time. Contact an attorney in this North African country if you believe you were wrongfully convicted under this country's laws.

Whoever is operating the scam in the US is probably already being investigated in the US but if you want to report the criminals behind the scam to someone in the US, go ahead. More power to you. Good luck.

Madossa

Thank you for the answers here. I think I will contact the FBI in this matter, you think this would be a first step? They also have two offices here in Germany.

Vielen Dank.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">