• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving and age-of-consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rafiki112

Hi, I'm a 20 year old male. I'm in a relationship with a 16 year old girl from Kentucky. We began dating when I was 19. In both of our states the legal age of consent is 16 which means we'd be legal to consent as of now (thus our relationship is perfectly legal.) However, I am moving to another state (Louisiana) where the legal age of consent is 17.

I plan to visit this girl after moving - in her state where the legal AOC again is 16. My question might seem kinda silly...if (not saying that this will, because that's not why I love this girl) we were to engage in any kind of sexual activity while I was in 'her' state, would it be legal for her to consent? Or could I be prosecuted under Louisiana law?

I do believe it goes by the laws of the state that it took place in (which would make it thus legal), but not 100% sure on that.

--

Just to clarify - I really do love this girl, I don't plan to meet her for the sole purpose of having sex or anything like that, we're both looking for a true loving relationship. But if it happens, and it certainly might at least to some degree, I'd like to know forsure that it's legal. If I'd be risking a felony then I would like to know so we will know to wait til after her birthday (something we might do anyways.)

One last thing - if you're going to make a big deal about the age difference (name-calling, etc.) then don't even bother to reply. I'm looking for an accurate legal answer, not your opinion about me, her or our relationship.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are HER PARENTS okay with your having a sexual relationship with her?

The age of consent is the age at which the state will no longer prosecute you for stat rape. It is different from the age of majority, which is the age at which her parents have no further control over what she does. There are a number of things you could be charged with, even if she's over the age of consent, if her parents take offense.

Rafiki112

cbg: thanks for the actual legitimate response. What are these other things I could be charged with?

Her parents are 100% okay with our relationship. I don't think they'd be very happy if they caught us having sex or doing anything like that :p but I don't think they would get overly angry either unless I got her pregnant, which I wouldn't let happen at this point anyways. And again, it's perfectly fine with me if we wait but I'd rather know the law for this just in case.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Interference with custody. Possibly some lesser sexual offenses; I haven't researched your specific state recently. And if you bring her across state lines and anything sexual occurs, that's a Federal crime and you're looking at Federal charges.

So keep it zipped.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Sexual misconduct, indecent exposure, use of electronic means to entice a minor, endangering the welfare of a minor, unlawful transaction with a minor, kidnapping, custodial interference...

Many, many things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">