• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My dog got shot in my property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maribelrojas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
on March 8th my neighbor left her dogs loose and one of them came into my property and got into a fight with my dogs. My neighbor threatened my son and husband by saying if she had her gun with her she would shot the dogs. a few days later i saw a man walking past my house in jeans and we live in the county so usually just people that are jogging walks by here. i didn't pay much attention to it but 2 days later the same man in jeans talking on a cell phone passed by the house again and this time he looks back to ck how i'm leaving the house and looking towards my property. this time i got a little suspicious and called my husband to let him know about it. but still didn't think much of it since i have the dogs at the house and they are contained by an invisible fence. On March 23rd my daughter gets home from school and finds my dog shot and blood all over the yard we called the sheriff office had a deputy investigating and since we are different in this side of town no one said anything. so we decided to investigate a little and my son got into facebook and found their page where they had posted "if you own a pitbull they should be shot . end of story " and things like it. when the sheriff approached them they said they were not aware of it. Now i have 2 kids and 2 other dogs at home and i worry to come back home and find something happen to them. What can I do please help

JustAPal00

Sorry to hear about your dog. Unless you have witnesses, or a confession, it will be hard to prove anything.

If you're using an invisible fence to contain a pit bull, you're asking for trouble. Those fences are fine for small dogs that can do no harm, but no way will it stop a pit bull. If the dog gets angry it will run right through it.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
on March 8th my neighbor left her dogs loose and one of them came into my property and got into a fight with my dogs. My neighbor threatened my son and husband by saying if she had her gun with her she would shot the dogs. a few days later i saw a man walking past my house in jeans and we live in the county so usually just people that are jogging walks by here. i didn't pay much attention to it but 2 days later the same man in jeans talking on a cell phone passed by the house again and this time he looks back to ck how i'm leaving the house and looking towards my property. this time i got a little suspicious and called my husband to let him know about it. but still didn't think much of it since i have the dogs at the house and they are contained by an invisible fence. On March 23rd my daughter gets home from school and finds my dog shot and blood all over the yard we called the sheriff office had a deputy investigating and since we are different in this side of town no one said anything. so we decided to investigate a little and my son got into facebook and found their page where they had posted "if you own a pitbull they should be shot . end of story " and things like it. when the sheriff approached them they said they were not aware of it. Now i have 2 kids and 2 other dogs at home and i worry to come back home and find something happen to them. What can I do please help
It sounds like you may have enough evidence to bring a civil suit. Unfortunately, the only recovery would be the fair market value of the dog. Animals are considered property. It doesn't sound like there's enough evidence to support a criminal conviction.

You could bring your evidence to small claims court and roll the dice.

Surveillance cameras make a pretty good deterrent as well. Real or fake, the criminal can never tell what can be seen.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">