• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are my in-laws blackmailing me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mom2four

What is the name of your state? NJ

We are living with my in-laws. My MIL has accused me of taking pictures of hers. While they were away, I snooed through their room looking forthe pictures. I did not know that there were video cameras set up in there. Now my in-laws have told me that if I do not let them do what they want with my children they will go to the police and show them the tape. They also said that they will show my family and the pastor of our church. Is this blackmail?

P

PerfidyorFealty

You know, if your in-laws don't trust you and they apparently don't, maybe you ought to find somewhere else to live. You had no business violating their privacy by snooping through their bedroom in the first place and I think they are right to be distrustful of you. You are a guest under their roof. They didn't set up a hidden camera on a whim. They set it up because they knew they'd catch you doing something you shouldn't be doing and they wanted proof of it so you couldn't deny it when confronted. I doubt pictures are the only things that have come up missing.

Beth3

Yeah, but...that's all well and true however these wonderful in-laws are now trying to blackmail her into turning over control of her children to them.

Snooping in your in-laws bedroom didn't break any laws. You were living in their house. They didn't have a lock on the door. She has no basis to file a criminal complaint with the police about anything. And I would hope your pastor has better things to do than watch this stupid video.

Listen - you are part of a miserable situation and it can't be doing your kids any good. Your mother-in-law accuses you of stealing, you in turn snoop through their bedroom, now she's trying to get you to do what she wants by threatening you. Lovely.

You need to find a new place to live and get out of there now. This is only going to get uglier.

djohnson

I agree to both.

The legal and the feelings issues.

It's obvious there is more going on here and this is just something you think you can hold over them just like they are you and you searching them and etc...

It's a ping pong match back and forth and your kids are the losers and that's sad. Where is your husband during all this? Why don't you and your kids move out?

There's nothing illegal going on that we can see in your post just petty issues that you need to fix.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">