• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My life was threatened - What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bad_situation

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

What is the proper procedure for handling a threat?

SITUATION: A couple of kids (25 year olds) showed up at my house today. They were waiting for over 6 hours for me to come from work (as reported by my wife, who saw the car parked there). They are upset that the police report of a recent accident I was involved in determined them to be at fault. Obviously, my insurance will not pay for their car (they had no insurance). They feel that the police officer was wrong. Three of them showed up at my house acting tough, cursing, and making a threat that "I pay them or I will be sorry." I told them to get lost before I call the cops. Their parting words, "Do you know who we are? I hope you and your family be safe." I almost lost it, but kept my composure as it would only make things worse.

I can get their full name from the police report and I have proof of them calling my house and on my cell phone (no messages). I have a feeling these "mafiosos" will try to do something (vandalize my property most likely). How can I go on record with the police that this threat took place and protect myself in the event that they ever try to do something to me, my family, or my property? My dad was visiting and observed as our altercation took place outside of the house on a video camera we have outside (no recording unfortunately).

Thank you.

Last edited:

Any time you feel your life is in danger, you should call the police. Don't threaten to, just do it. If there is a cycle of harassment or threats, you can go to court and get a restraining order.

bad_situation

Any time you feel your life is in danger, you should call the police. Don't threaten to, just do it. If there is a cycle of harassment or threats, you can go to court and get a restraining order.
Thank you! I have gone to my local police station and filed a report about the matter with a police officer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">