• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2nice

What is the name of your state? Rhode Island
My ex-boyfriend owes me $ from credit card purchases. We made a verbal agreement in July. In a fight over payments I threatened the possibility of small claims court. He says he has an attorney. In December he said he put a card (containing a check to me, checks to the creditors, and a couple of x-mas gift certificates) on my car windshield. I never received it. He suggested it was stolen. (First thought...it never existed!?) Soon after he said that the check to me had been cashed and that someone had apparently forged my signature (and blamed my new boyfriend). Q: Do I have a right to see the forged check?Because of this his (supposed) attorney advised him to stop making payments to me. I cut my losses. 5 mnths later I get an email (hotmail address) from his attorney to contact my ex or forfeit his debt. I emailed the attorney back stating that I would like him to pay, I wasn't planning on small claims and if he didn't then he was a "theif". I then got a 3 page hotmail email back from the supposed attorney talking about all kinds of stuff, that I don't think a professional attorney would. (I have personal problems, his client is not a liar, why I can't see the "indisputable evidence") He said that a formal investigation had been launched re: the stolen/forged check. Q: If that was true, wouldn't the accused theif (my new boyfriend) and I be questioned? I think my ex is lying and posing as his attorney to manipulate and intimidate me so he can get out of paying and also defame my new boyfriend. I did an internet search for the stated Law Firm and couldn't find anything. Q: Isn't it illegal to impersonate an attorney? Q: If the attorney is really emailing me, can he? Is it harrassment? What can I do? I want to find out what is the truth and what is a lie. If I take him to small claims would the truth come out?????

stephenk

I think you are getting the runaround.

dont waste any more time with the supposed attorney. File your small claim action and be done with it.

You can go to your state's Attorney Bar website and check if your ex's attorney is really an attorney.

H

hexeliebe

I also agree

No attorney work a damn will send demand letters through the e-mail. Unless this "attorney" graduated from the cancun school of law and beer science he/she will send all demand letters either registered mail or other such device which would leave a paper trail.

Sounds like your ex is trying something here. Go file your small claims suit and get this guy out of your life.

By the way, if you have copies of the e-mails HotMail can trace the origin of the sender. There are headers sent with every e-mail (not visible to the sender or receiver) that identify the IP address of the sender and the server from which they were sent.

You may have to get a court order to get the information, but if you suspect your ex is sending these it might be worth it.

2nice

Thanks

Thank you. I just want to know my rights and that I know what I am talking about from the start before I approach him because he is very manipulative and I am not very articulate. (I get overwhelmed when I speak to him and just end up yelling.) And yes, HomeGuru, you are right, he may try to impersonate a female (being that he is a pussy and all). ;)

H

hmmbrdzz

Re: Thanks

2nice said:
Thank you. I just want to know my rights and that I know what I am talking about from the start before I approach him because he is very manipulative and I am not very articulate. (I get overwhelmed when I speak to him and just end up yelling.) And yes, HomeGuru, you are right, he may try to impersonate a female (being that he is a pussy and all). ;)
==========================================

LMAO! I think you should give yourself more credit in your ability to "articulate" things.

hmmbrdzz

G

GKris

Can you get online classes through this Cancun College? I'm willing to supply my own beer....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">