• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are my rights being taken away?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BrooklynBarBie

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLorida
my brother committed a serious crime against his girlfriend at the time, after he committed the crime he came to my house to tell me what he did, than he left and was later arrested. The D.A. came to my house to question me, they got their statements they needed and they used them in court. I later relocated to another state and now the D.A. is contacting us anyway they can. Including sending officers in my new city, knocking on my door, with the message to contact FL. Now the D.A. in FL. wants to fly me back to Florida to testify against my brother but when I refused and told them to just use what they already have, they said that it was'nt an option. Do I have the right to refuse to fly back and testify against my brother? Or will I be held accountable for something I had nothing to do with?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

That is of course assuming they have subpoena. I would wager that they wouldn't be asking him to appear if they could get a subpoena.

They cannot use your statements in court .. they need your testimony (your brother has a right to confront you).

You need to stop answering your door to the cops & talking to them on the phone.

Then see what happens.

davew128

Yes. The DA also has the right to have you arrested for failure to comply with the subpoena.
OP does not live in Florida. Assuming they go through with the steps to declare her a material witness what process must they perform to force the OP to appear. They cannot simply arrest her as they would not have arrest powers in the other state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">