• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Son Aimed A Loaded Shotgun At Me... Now What???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cj_in_Tx

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?I'm in TX.

My 24 year old son was on a drug induced rage that ended up with him pointing a loaded shotgun at me. He was screaming at me, pumped the gun and took 2 steps towards me... pushing me to the ground. He's in jail now with the charge of Aggravated Assault w/Deadly Weapon. Of course he believes its all my fault and he still denies that he has a drug problem.

Since he's mad at me, for not getting him out of jail, we have no idea what is going on with him. How can I find out any info on him?

Should I expect to see him out of jail soon or will he stay there until his court date? Since I'm the victim, will the DA contact me to see if I want to testify when he goes to court or if he goes in front of the judge?

The police officer that took my victim statement said I could withdraw it at any time. If I do, how would I do this and would he get out of jail immediately with all of the charges dropped? Another police officer that was present that night said if I withdrew my statement, he'd "make them stick". Can he really do this?

This is his first time in trouble as an adult, however, he does have a significant juvenile record. In TX what kind of punishment can he expect to get? When he was arrested, he called and stated that the police officer told him he was going to prison this time because of an assault charge back in 93. I know he had some assault arrests but I don't remember any CONVICTION. He would have been 12 years old.

Lost here... please help! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cj

Shay-Pari'e

WAKE UP! Your adult son had a loaded gun on you.

Would you rather see him or you killed, or to get help?

Keep him in jail if you love him, .............he will not be able to get drugs there. Isn't that the best out come?

He is to far gone for your type of love..........Your kid has a serious problem. How would you feel if that gun was pointed at a stranger?

Please think here.

pojo2

Cj_in_Tx said:
The police officer that took my victim statement said I could withdraw it at any time. If I do, how would I do this and would he get out of jail immediately with all of the charges dropped? Another police officer that was present that night said if I withdrew my statement, he'd "make them stick". Can he really do this?

Cj
Don't be a fool let him stay right where he is!

HomeGuru

Cj_in_Tx said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?I'm in TX.

My 24 year old son was on a drug induced rage that ended up with him pointing a loaded shotgun at me. He was screaming at me, pumped the gun and took 2 steps towards me... pushing me to the ground. He's in jail now with the charge of Aggravated Assault w/Deadly Weapon. Of course he believes its all my fault and he still denies that he has a drug problem.

Since he's mad at me, for not getting him out of jail, we have no idea what is going on with him. How can I find out any info on him?

Should I expect to see him out of jail soon or will he stay there until his court date? Since I'm the victim, will the DA contact me to see if I want to testify when he goes to court or if he goes in front of the judge?

This is his first time in trouble as an adult, however, he does have a significant juvenile record. In TX what kind of punishment can he expect to get? When he was arrested, he called and stated that the police officer told him he was going to prison this time because of an assault charge back in 93. I know he had some assault arrests but I don't remember any CONVICTION. He would have been 12 years old.

Lost here... please help! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cj

**A: you are an enabler. Why is he living with you anyway? He is a grown adult. Kick his ass out of the house and let him live on his own.

CdwJava

Cj_in_Tx said:
Of course he believes its all my fault and he still denies that he has a drug problem.
And backing off of the charge would do nothing to change that problem.

You can call the jail or the court and see when the next hearing is. Your county may even have a webstie where this stuff is posted.

Should I expect to see him out of jail soon or will he stay there until his court date?
He'll probably stay unless he makes bail. And unless he has wealthy friends or a lot of money, he isn't going to make bail unless you post it for him. And that would be a bad idea.

Since I'm the victim, will the DA contact me to see if I want to testify when he goes to court or if he goes in front of the judge?
Maybe. But, he could just subpoena you and ask you the questions on the stand. Whether you want to press charges or not is largely irrelevant at this point. All you have to do is answer truthfully the questions you are asked.

The police officer that took my victim statement said I could withdraw it at any time.
What an odd thing to say. TX may have some unusual procedures ... but how someone can retract their statement is beyond me.

Another police officer that was present that night said if I withdrew my statement, he'd "make them stick". Can he really do this?
Yes. The state presses criminal charges - not you.

This is his first time in trouble as an adult, however, he does have a significant juvenile record.
And getting him out of THIS mess will help him ... how??

In TX what kind of punishment can he expect to get?
Prison time I imagine. Not knowing the specific statute he is charged with (as well as extenuating factors such as criminal history, etc.) there is no way to accurately predict what might happen to him.

- Carl

Cj_in_Tx

I'm the ENABLER???

HomeGuru said:
**A: you are an enabler. Why is he living with you anyway? He is a grown adult. Kick his ass out of the house and let him live on his own.
Thanks for the input HomeGuru but why do you call me an enabler? He does NOT live with me nor has he in years. I was at his house when the incident occured. I had received a frantic phone call from my daughter-in-law saying he'd "lost it". I went to help her because SHE was too afraid to call the police. I wasn't afraid but I guess I should have been! I went there to stop it... I called the police... now he's in jail... how does this make ME the ENABLER???

Cj

Cj_in_Tx

--PARIDISE-- said:
WAKE UP! Your adult son had a loaded gun on you.

Would you rather see him or you killed, or to get help?

Keep him in jail if you love him, .............he will not be able to get drugs there. Isn't that the best out come?

He is to far gone for your type of love..........Your kid has a serious problem. How would you feel if that gun was pointed at a stranger?

Please think here.
PARIDISE,
I'm AWAKE... And I don't think I'll ever forget about having the gun pointed at me. That was the scariest moment of my life. Everytime I close my eyes the incident replays in my head.

I want him to get help but I don't want him to hate me. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with.

Thanks for your input.
Cj

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Would it be better that he hates you but gets help, or that he likes you and ends up killing someone?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">