• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son was mugged in a college parking lot this morning...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsd71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

Hi, I received a call from my son at 10:00am this morning, he told me he and his roommate went to McDonalds at 3:00am this morning, when they returned to the campus parking lot they were accosted by 6 afro american young men. They were shouting racial epitaphs to my son and his roommate, then all of a sudden the gang attacked my son and his roomate. They administered a severe beating and stole their money also. The roommate got to the 911 call box and the campus police arrived and the other kids ran when they saw the police. I understand a few of them were apprehended later on. My question is what should I do about this, the police took my son to the emergency room and he had multiple bruises and lacerations all over his body. Is there any legal recourse I can go forward with against the school or the gang of kids. I understand some of them attend the college where my son goes. I know he was very lucky to just receive some bumps and bruises with the way society is today, I told him he was very lucky he wasn't murdered.

cyjeff

How old is your son?

You can try to sue the university... but it would be like suing the police because they weren't watching your car when it was stolen. Your tax and/or tuition dollars don't guarantee you safety. They guarantee that the state/institution will do all possible to ensure safety, but don't guarantee bad things won't happen.

You can look to sue the aggressors for damages.. the money lost and the medical bills.

dave33

Well, I have a feeling that the other story will be nothing like your sons. So for now, slow your role and wait to see what the accepted version of events turns out to be. IF your son asks for your help, tell him you want a copy of the police report.

tsd71

Agreed there are two sides to every story, The first thing I said to him was leave it alone and I will take care of everything else. I asked for the report already.

sandyclaus

I would agree with the previous poster. You have no idea what happened there. You have your son's version, but who knows if he is telling the whole truth or not? What possible reason would this "gang" of African-American students have for attacking him? Are you absolutely sure that these racial epithets didn't go both ways?

Seriously - if these persons were students at the same university, it's highly unlikely that they are going to have the same mentality as regular street thugs who would just come up to your son and attack simply because the color of his skin wasn't the same as their own. I seriously doubt you got the whole story here.

If your son is an adult, it's HIS situation to deal with - NOT yours. He's a grown up. Let him handle his own business. If he asks for your guidance and advice, fine - but ultimately, it's his ball game. He's never going to learn to deal with situations like this on his own until you let him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Agreed there are two sides to every story, The first thing I said to him was leave it alone and I will take care of everything else. I asked for the report already.
If your son is an adult, then HE should be, at the very least, INVOLVED in taking care of this...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If your son is an adult (over the age of 18) why do you believe you have ANY standing to pursue any legal remedies? You were not harmed in any way.

CdwJava

Nothing good can come from a group of people being out and about at 3 AM. Something more was going on here ... apparently something may have started at McDonald's. Were they at the campus because they live on campus? Or did they head to the school so early for some other reason?

Ultimately, you have no cause of action here and the police may not even talk to you. Your son, assuming he is 18 or older, is the victim here. But, even he would not appear to have any valid claim against the school unless they forced him out of his dorm at 3 AM. If the suspects are identified, your son can always hire an attorney to sue his attackers. In the meantime, the police will do what they can to investigate the case. However, be prepared for the possibility that the investigation might reveal some unpleasant actions on the part of your son. It is unlikely that at least some small share of the blame for this incident rests with your son and/or his roommate.

In the meantime, perhaps he should reconsider late night forays into the mean streets of the city.

xylene

Nothing good can come from a group of people being out and about at 3 AM. Something more was going on here ... apparently something may have started at McDonald's. Were they at the campus because they live on campus? Or did they head to the school so early for some other reason?

Ultimately, you have no cause of action here and the police may not even talk to you. Your son, assuming he is 18 or older, is the victim here. But, even he would not appear to have any valid claim against the school unless they forced him out of his dorm at 3 AM. If the suspects are identified, your son can always hire an attorney to sue his attackers. In the meantime, the police will do what they can to investigate the case. However, be prepared for the possibility that the investigation might reveal some unpleasant actions on the part of your son. It is unlikely that at least some small share of the blame for this incident rests with your son and/or his roommate.

In the meantime, perhaps he should reconsider late night forays into the mean streets of the city.
Everyone had better stay home during imaginary curfew unless they are looking to be accused of racism that justifies assault, right?

Perhaps we need to reinstate the blue laws too. :rolleyes:

CdwJava

Everyone had better stay home during imaginary curfew unless they are looking to be accused of racism that justifies assault, right?

Perhaps we need to reinstate the blue laws too. :rolleyes:
I never said there were laws against it, but statistically one is far more likely to be a victim or a perpetrator of criminal activity so late at night. All because someone CAN do something does not mean it is a good idea. Personally, I like to behave in a manner that keeps me safe not spit in fate's eye and dare her to toss Hell my way!

Plus, for the most part, people out that late are up to something less than good, are often impaired, and can easily find trouble if they want it. Of course, a McDonald's being open at 3 AM is surprising to me, but I guess if there is a market for the after-the-bar crowd they would.

rowz

I never said there were laws against it, but statistically one is far more likely to be a victim or a perpetrator of criminal activity so late at night. All because someone CAN do something does not mean it is a good idea. Personally, I like to behave in a manner that keeps me safe not spit in fate's eye and dare her to toss Hell my way!

Plus, for the most part, people out that late are up to something less than good, are often impaired, and can easily find trouble if they want it. Of course, a McDonald's being open at 3 AM is surprising to me, but I guess if there is a market for the after-the-bar crowd they would.
This is the first time I have ever replied to a quote in a thread.

CDW - are you serious? The very reason a McD;s is open down the street from me is the local University. People out late ARE more apt to get into trouble I agree there.These are college kids and thats what they do....go out late.

With your atatement I would not have been surprised to hear you say to a rape vic [back when you were an active duty PO] that their manner of dress....whaddya expect when you dress like that. GEESH!

Of course there are 2 sides to this and I hope that the ensuing police report can shed light on the situation. If it is as the OP suggests, then I hope thhat the injured retain their own lawwyers & DEMAND the the prosecutor up the charge to a hate crime.

If the situation were reversed those who were mugged would not only have a 1/2 dozen lawyers at their beck & call but all the news media as well.

OP make very VERY sure your boy tells you THE FULL STORY.

CdwJava

CDW - are you serious? The very reason a McD;s is open down the street from me is the local University. People out late ARE more apt to get into trouble I agree there.These are college kids and thats what they do....go out late.
I live and work near a college, and the McD's are not open so late ... maybe it's a regional thing. Didn't say they weren't, just that it has not been my experience.

With your atatement I would not have been surprised to hear you say to a rape vic [back when you were an active duty PO] that their manner of dress....whaddya expect when you dress like that. GEESH!
Do not EVEN go there, friend ... not the same thing, not at all! But, certain actions couple with manners of dress DO increase the likelihoods of victimization - to pretend that these things are not a factor is to ignore the facts ... and the obvious.

As I said, in my experience people out that late tend to be involved in activity that increases the likelihood of their victimization based upon their ACTIONS.

Of course there are 2 sides to this and I hope that the ensuing police report can shed light on the situation. If it is as the OP suggests, then I hope thhat the injured retain their own lawwyers & DEMAND the the prosecutor up the charge to a hate crime.
That depends on what constitutes a hate crime in the OP's state. It might very well be that they BOTH used epithets and could ALL be charged with assorted hate crimes.

(Though, many of these hate crimes laws based merely upon angry utterances are ridiculous and not what the laws were designed for. I worked a case here where two friends got inebriated and got into a fight over a girl at a bar ... in the course of the argument, they exchanged blows and the white friend called his black friend a racial epithet and was charged with a hate crime, when the incident was merely a matter of two inebriated friends getting into it over a girl. Overkill.)

If the situation were reversed those who were mugged would not only have a 1/2 dozen lawyers at their beck & call but all the news media as well.
The OP's son can still call the media and hire lawyers ... nothing prevents him. However, I strongly suspect that the lad and his pal were not entirely innocent victims. It is possible that they are innocent victims and were targeted by a band of thugs ... though, experience tells me this is unlikely, even if possible.

OP make very VERY sure your boy tells you THE FULL STORY.
Hopefully he will or has ... as a parent, I would be gravely disappointed to find out that the facts were somewhat different then what I was told by my boy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I work for a major university, in a city which has no less than 52 colleges and universities in the metropolitan area. I checked the times of 5 Mickey D's in the area. One has a 24 hour drive through, though the lobby closes at midnight. Of the rest, not one is open later than midnight and at least one closes earlier than that.

I don't know what the half million college students around here are doing late night, but they're not going to Mickey D's.

davew128

I live in the Pacific Beach area of San Diego. I can tell you right now that there are 6 restaurants within 1 mile of me open 24 hours. Three mexican shops, a McDonalds, a Jack in the Box, and a Carl's Jr. Not just the drive-thru, lobby. If I drive-thru only I can add 4 more mexican shops. And for the record, the nearest university would be about 5 miles away. There are also literally seven 24 hour 7-11s I could add to the mix. All within a 1 mile radius of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">