• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My SSN Used by a relative to Embezzle over $100K from a Corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

figtree2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
VA

My sister used my SSN to register me as a consultant w/her company. She then picked up the weekly checks and cashed them herself. The total at the end of her exercise amounted to over $150K. She was a VP with the company at the time. I found out when I received an erroneous W-2. She admitted to what she had done in an email and notarized a document where she states I did not know of her actions. What is the statute of limitiations for something like this in the state of VA?

racer72

What is the statute of limitiations for something like this in the state of VA?
That depends on what you want to do. Do you want to file a police report and have charges brought against her, sue her, or something else? Your notarized document won't mean much if criminal charges are brought against you.

Unless you are so rich that paying out an extra ~$70K doesn't concern you, then I would call the IRS and VA revenue and ask how to deal with a bogus W2 from a company you didn't work for.
Also, be prepared to have your past and future tax returns scrutinized. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">