• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC mega land fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clarky

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I am a US citizen and live in New Zealand. My Dad died in NC in 2002 and left property to his children. I am the oldest son. We own everything collectively, Dad didn't split it up. In 2003, 10 acres and house, directly on the Atlantic coast (on the Inter Coastal Waterway) were sold for $325,000 by my Dad's next door neighbour. He is a licensed Real Estate Agent (I call him "A") with his own agency. He was a "friend of the family". I had no reason to not trust him- he had sold the property to my parents 14 years before. He was my Dad and Mom's "great friend", always over at their house visiting. He is also very wealthy. I looked on the internet from NZ, and the price seemed too low by many orders (probably 1/5 the right price) but my marriage had just ended and I was busy fighting for shared custody of my kids (which I won!!!! yeeHa).

When I baulked at signing, I was served with a damages law suit from the buyer- my sister had signed an agreement to sell. My younger brother (I'll call him "W") was absolutely keen about the sale- it was a "great price", market was collapsing, the property insurance had lapsed, it was at the end of a dirt road, we have to move fast, nobody wants this property, global warming is raising ocean levels etc. Anyway, I signed and put it out of my mind. It was one of those times in your life when everything goes wrong, and you just want to keep your head above water. I trusted everybody.

A few years go by.

In March, 2006, I got an email from same wealthy younger brother, "W". A buyer was interested in the 15 acres that we jointly (5 people) owned directly on a main highway. "W" had appointed "A", the "family friend" as our Agent again (without consulting anybody). "A" negotiated a price of $425,000 for this land- apparently a fantastic price. "A's" dentist was the buyer- The buyer was part of a "community committee" tasked with bringing "jobs to the people". A church going philanthropist just dedicating his life to good works.

There is a saying in NZ, cheat me once, shame on you, cheat me twice, shame on me. This time I got in touch with a NC appraiser and had the property informally valued at about $2,000,000. My brother "W" and "A" were in cahoots to con me out of my inheritance.

(It was at that point that I realized that the 2003 sale was a fraud- I had owned 1/3 of that property and got $106,000 for a share that was worth five or ten times more.)

This time, I held my fire, didn't sign anything, acted dumb and collected as much info as I could. Emails were going back and forth from the agent "A" (who never signed an agents agreement- he was helping my family, gratis), the buyer,the buyer's lawyer- all of which I have saved. Our side didn't have a lawyer- "W" and "A" said we didn't need one. I asked for a current appraisal- they sent me one from 2002- and then the Tax appraisal. "You are the only person who hadn't signed ( a lie) and are thwarting the other owners wishes".

They sent me 3 different packs of documents to sign via UPS. I went to the NZ cops and they said, just don't sign.

After 8 months of gathering info, I told "W" and "A" and the other owners that the sale was scam. I sent everybody the appraiser's emails. I proposed that we sell the property for its true value using a formal appraisal and an honest real estate agent, everybody represented by their own lawyer. I presented a choice of professionals who could do this for us. No hard feelings- let's split the money fairly and get on with our lives.

Anyway, "A" and "W" have gone completely silent. The property can not be sold without brother "W" and wife's signatures.

I am probably worth a million dollars, but it is tied up in property that I can not sell, with a brother who is working hard to steal from or thwart me. "W"s own adult daughter is a part owner of this bit of land, and he is trying to cheat her! There is no reason for his amity towards me- I left home when he was 8 yo, and was a good big brother. There is something unhinged about him.

Could this be a transnational criminal conspiracy? Should I contact the FBI, the NC Attorney General? The newspapers? Post everything on the internet? The entire situation is embarrassing and frustrating.

I am working on a PhD research thesis- on the effects of chair design on the return of blood to the heart (the veins of the legs). I am a mature student.

Thank you ALL for your time and attention.

What is the name of your state? North CarolinaWhat is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

clarky

the real estate guy is a member of REALTOR®

Is this meaningless?

"Only real estate licensees who are members of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® are properly called REALTORS®. They proudly display the REALTOR "®" logo on the business card or other marketing and sales literature. REALTORS® are committed to treat all parties to a transaction honestly. REALTORS® subscribe to a strict code of ethics and are expected to maintain a higher level of knowledge of the process of buying and selling real estate."

http://www.realtor.com/Basics/AllAbout/Realtors/Why.asp?poe=realtor

I have downloaded their "code of ethics"- does it have any legal bearing. The crooked real estate agent has a logo- "Service and Integrity". It is like a Hollywood movie- only where are the good guys?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">