• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC statutory rape laws????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anonemouse

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I have heard so many different answers..what exactly is the legal age of consent in north carolina??? ( i read on the internet, on several sites that it is 16) and could someone please give me the absolute correct answer on what the laws for statutory rape are???? i have heard its 2 years at the least, then i read its 4 years at the least.... could someone tell me what the real truth is please? i am doing a research report on this topic but no one has the right answers.....please help!! thanks

Last edited:

M

Mike101

Legal age of consent is 16.
If the person is 15 and 364 days the age would matter. 16 and above it is legally legal.
If a 50 year old man was sleeping with my 16 year old daughter it would be legal. He would be dead but it wouldn't be because he did anything illegal.

AmosMoses

anonemouse;

You said:

I have heard so many different answers..what exactly is the legal age of consent in north carolina??? ( i read on the internet, on several sites that it is 16) and could someone please give me the absolute correct answer on what the laws for statutory rape are???? i have heard its 2 years at the least, then i read its 4 years at the least.... could someone tell me what the real truth is please? i am doing a research report on this topic but no one has the right answers.....please help!! thanks

That you would even remotely entertain the thought, even for the merest second, that the age of consent could either be 2 or 4 scares the hell out of me! Where in God's name did you read that the age of consent was 4? The NAMBLA handbook!?!??!??!? Stick with what you read on the Internet...16.

A

anonemouse

Sorry if i confused you amosmoses, but i wasnt saying the age of consent was two or four years i was saying that i heard the person could be two or four years older than a minor under 16 and it could be considered statutory rape. just to clear that up

L

lab_jewel1

Statutory Rape in NC

North Carolina.
I have a friend that was arrested after going in for questioning for 4 counts of statutory rape. they have been in jail now for almost 30 days and the bond is set at $225K.
What are the chances of them getting the bail reduced to $50K or less?
Is it possible to get house arrest and do you still have to post bond, what is house arrest exactly?
As I understand the law, is doesn't matter if it was consentual, because of the age 15 (turned 16 a few days later) and 29, correct?
If bond cannot be posted, what happens, do they stay in jail for much longer, who can help?
Also, the gal was working in South Carolina at the time, can you be 15 and work?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

AmosMoses

Statutory rape is pretty much sex with someone below the age of consent....therefore, it matters not if the victim gave consent if the law does not recognize their abililty to give this consent. As far as the odds of a bail reduction, I would not know, but I would imagine that a decent lawyer could use your friend's good record (other than the instant offenses charged) IF your friend has such a clean record to get bail reduced somewhat, how much (if any), I do not have any idea....however, any reduction will likely all boil down to your friend's past record, ties to the community, perceived likelihood to jump bail, etc., as well as the degree of opposition from the prosecution, victim's family, etc., to the bail reduction....also, there could be statutory bail minimums for the specific charges, and therefore the bail floor may well be limited by that. House arrest in this context would be a stipulated agreement to bail....some people get bail under certain conditions, such as electronic monitoring, house arrest, etc. A judge could consider house arrest as part of a bail agreement, which could ostensibly lessen the perpetrator's danger to the community. If no bond is posted, your friend will sit in jail until the matter is finally resolved. I don't know at what age a person can legally work in NC, and I would imagine that it matters what type of work and the work hours you are talking about (baby sitter, barmaid, Wal-Mart teller, etc.)if that at all matters to anything but your curiosity. I am not at all trying to be a smartass here, but this has absolutely no bearing on your friend's case, unless the girl was working in a bar and as such your friend then believed that she was of age...and all that would be subject to introduction and argument as mitigation at bail reduction hearing (or trial)time, and the value of that would be highly speculative at best. I mean, a lawyer may would argue that your friend had a spotless record (if so), that he is a "model citizen", that he was told by the victim that she was of age, and that she, oh, say, "worked at a bar, making a reasonable person tend to believe that she was of age, especially coupled with her claims to the same. Again, this is simply speculation on my part (and, along those same lines, realize that all of this is simply coming out of my head, and I am neither a lawyer nor a resident of NC, so keep that in mind!) I am simply posting here with my guesses because you have received no other replies. One thing, though, usually there are people that are very happy to correct anyone who is wrong, so you may well get a clarification of my post shortly behind it. Best of luck to you and your friend!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">