• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nearly caught shoplifting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anonymous MN

What is the name of your state? Minnesota. I was in a store and I had an item that I didn't think had a sensor on it placed in my coat pocket. Not smart, I know. I purchased another item using my check card and then proceeded to walk out of the store when the sensor went off. I stopped and a sales associate came over to look in my bag. She realized it wasn't the bag and went to grab the sensor wand. While she went to grab the wand I took the item out of my pocket and droppd it on the floor about five feet away. She came over, checked we with the wand, and found nothing on me since I removed the item from my possesion. She then had me walk through the sensors by the door and nothing went off and she let me go. As she did this another sales associate picked up the item I dropped and I'm pretty sure that they now know what was going on. Since they have the information from my check card purchase are they able to track me down and prosecute me even though nothing was actually stolen from the store?

HomeGuru

They can track you down and prosecute you under the MN Premeditated Attempted Shoplifting 2nd degree Aiding and Abetting statute and ban you from the store for life.

A

anonymous MN

is such action on the store's part likely? The item was only around $15. is it likely that they would take the time to prosecute? also what would this crime classify as i.e. misdemeanor, petty misdemeanor etc., and how would I know if I was being prosecuted. would I be notified through the mail, or would a warrant just be issued for my arrest or something?

H

hexeliebe

get a grip man. HG is pulling your leg.

But someone should take you out back and beat hell out of you for being so stupid.

Next time maybe you'll think twice about it.

A

anonymous MN

Yeah, I do deserve to have the hell beaten out of me, it was ridiculously stupid. It was an impulse thing, I don't know, the scare I had will keep me from ever doing anything like that again. So there's nothing to really worry about at this point, other than my obvious lack of judgement?

D

dolph_123

man, I know someone who did the same exact thing, and they tracked him down, and filed charges on him. Not only is it attempted shop lifting, but it is also a deception charge. That is a felony. You would have been better off, if you would have just admitted to it. Your deception of crime is what is going to get you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

anonymous MN

It sounds like I'm getting some conflicting information here. I've never heard of a deception charge before, how could ALMOST being caught stealing be a worse crime than actually being caught? Where was your friend caught? I've heard from a few people who work in retail that they would have no reason to take the time to pursue this. Can anyone with any specific legal knowledge give me a little insight? Thanks.

HomeGuru

anonymous MN said:
It sounds like I'm getting some conflicting information here. I've never heard of a deception charge before, how could ALMOST being caught stealing be a worse crime than actually being caught? Where was your friend caught? I've heard from a few people who work in retail that they would have no reason to take the time to pursue this. Can anyone with any specific legal knowledge give me a little insight? Thanks.
**A: here is a little insight. Do not listen to dolph who can only count to dolph_123.

H

hexeliebe

Awww hell man, go smoke a joynt, put on some Lynard Skynard, chug a gallon of Spinada and find a fat, sweaty woman....

There's better things to worry about than being stupid and being lucky enough not to get caught.

H

hexeliebe

I can't be bothered with spellcheck when I'm looking for my BONG!!!

HomeGuru

I am not talking about spell check. That was the name of one of their albums.
And in my opinion, Freebird (the live version), ranks high on the list as one of the rock anthems.

H

hexeliebe

And "gimme three steps" is the Anthem of barroom pickups :D

gotta love the old farts here .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">