• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irichards

A friend of mine stole items out of a garage that totaled over $1,000. The victims filed a police report, but the incident was later settled when my friend returned the items and spoke with the victims. The police now want to question my friend, even though the victims do not wish to press charges. The owners of the home were inside the house at the time, but my friend never came in contact with them. He lives in Kansas, and was wondering if the D.A. could press charges even if the victims decided not to. My friend truly was and is apologetic for his actions, and is extremely unlikely to ever break the law in such ways again. What should he say to the detective when they speak, and what are the chances he could still have charges pressed against him?

FlyingRon

Return of the items doesn't negate the criminal act.
The fact that the victims don't want to press charges does not negate the criminal act.
The fact your friend is apologetic does not negate the criminal act.

The state can prosecute for the criminal act if they deem it in the best interests of the public at large.

Your friend is in serious trouble. He should not talk to detectives or the prosecutor without consulting a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">