• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice ASAP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

DesperateMomNC

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

My son turned 19 the end of May, He has had a girlfriend the past 2 months. well last weekend out of the Blue the Police show up at our house, saying that there has been a complaint on our son that he has had sex with a 14 year old. We was just horrified, we didn't know what to think.
So naturally soon as the police left we run to where he was THE GIRLFRIENDS HOUSE, No one there knew anything of these complaints, well to make a long story short, the Father of the girl found out she had a boyfriend so hes the one who filed the complaint.
When all of us first met the girl she said she was "16 years old" so did the sister and the sisters boyfriend, they all went along with this story. The mother knew my son was seeing this girl. NOTHING was ever said!
And yesterday the Lt. showed back up and told my son that they now have warrants for his arrest on 2 counts of Statutory Rape but the Lt. did say this case is unreal & messed up, he just cant believe it, so he is giving my son until Monday to turn his self in.
The girl admitted to the Police at first that she lied, and told them YES they had sex on 2 different occasions and that she fully agreed to do so and would do it again if she had the chance.
But now that the Father got his hands on the girl he has really worked her over (the police even said that this girl is scared to death of him and that he was telling her things to say in front of them) So needless to say this girl is now saying that she didnt lie about her age, that it just never came up, because the father told her that if she admitted to lying to the police and the stand when it goes to court she will be in trouble and go to jail. So now I dont know what is going to happen when she has to tell the story again. And also the sister of the girl has clammed up, she won't admit that she lied about the sisters age, cause the mom is now standing to lose her daughter to the father, so naturally shes taking up for the mom. The mom on the other hand isnt pressing charges against my son, she really likes my son, but she won't admit to knowing they were seeing each other either........
I don't know what to do, I'm so lost and so is my son
Hes generally a good son, never been in trouble.
Could someone please give me some advice.
Thanks so much
in waiting
A torn apart Desperate MOM

rmet4nzkx

Your son has comitted Statutory Rape, consent or lying about her age is no defense and he father has every right to bring charges. Even if her mother knew she was having sex with your son, a 19 year old having sex with a 16 yo is still a problem and if he didn't know her well enough to know her real age, she was still too young for him to be having sex with her and he knew it. I suggest you get your son an attorney and have him turn himself in on Monday, he ws given the weekend to get counsel.

Here are some references to NC law on Statutory rape, please understand there are other charges that can be brought as well.

North Carolina General Statutes §14-27.5(a)
*(a) A person is guilty of a sexual offense in the second degree if the person engages in a sexual act with another person:
§14-27.5(a)(1)

*(1)By force and against the will of the other person; or §14-27.5(a)

(2)*(2)Who is mentally defective, mentally incapacitated, or physically helpless, and the person performing the act knows or should reasonably know that the other person is mentally defective, mentally incapacitated, or physically helpless.
§14-27.5(b)
*(b) Any person who commits the offense defined in this section is guilty of a Class C felony. (1979, c. 682, s. 1; 1979, 2nd Sess., c. 1316, s. 7; 1981, c. 63, c. 179, s. 14; 1993, c. 539, s. 1131; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

§ 14-27.6: Repealed by Session Laws 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 14, s. 71(3).
*§ 14-27.6: Repealed by Session Laws 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 14, s. 71(3).

§ 14-27.7. Intercourse and sexual offenses with certain victims; consent no defense.

*§ 14-27.7. Intercourse and sexual offenses with certain victims; consent no defense.
§14-27.7

§ 14-27.7A. Statutory rape or sexual offense of person who is 13, 14, or 15 years old.

§ 14-27.7A. Statutory rape or sexual offense of person who is 13, 14, or 15 years old. §14-27.70A(a)

*(a) A defendant is guilty of a Class B1 felony if the defendant engages in vaginal intercourse or a sexual act with another person who is 13, 14, or 15 years old and the defendant is at least six years older than the person, except when the defendant is lawfully married to the person.
§14-27.70A(b)

*(b) A defendant is guilty of a Class C felony if the defendant engages in vaginal intercourse or a sexual act with another person who is 13, 14, or 15 years old and the defendant is more than four but less than six years older than the person, except when the defendant is lawfully married to the person. (1995, c. 281, s. 1.)
§ 14-27.8. No defense that victim is spouse of person committing act.

*§ 14-27.8. No defense that victim is spouse of person committing act.
§14-27.8

*A person may be prosecuted under this Article whether or not the victim is the person's legal spouse at the time of the commission of the alleged rape or sexual offense. (1979, c. 682, s. 1; 1987, c. 742; 1993, c. 274.)
§ 14-27.9. No presumption as to incapacity.

*§ 14-27.9. No presumption as to incapacity.

§14-27.9

*In prosecutions under this Article, there shall be no presumption that any person under the age of 14 years is physically incapable of committing a sex offense of any degree or physically incapable of committing rape, or that a male child under the age of 14 years is incapable of engaging in sexual intercourse. (1979, c. 682, s. 1.)
§ 14-27.10. Evidence required in prosecutions under this Article.

*§ 14-27.10. Evidence required in prosecutions under this Article.

Happy Trails

Good work RMET.

Poster, I would advise you click on the 'red rectangular box'. Your son is going to need an attorney.

rmet4nzkx

D.B. Cooper said:
...And stop talking to those cops
What OP needs is legal advice, such as get an attorney, what the law is in regard to her son's crime, not comments such as yours which serve no useful purpose other than some personal satisfaction you get from others circumstances. I suppose your screenname is some hint as to your admiration for criminal behavior which is not the purpose of htis site.

D

D.B. Cooper

That is legal advice, jackass. And if you had half a brain you would know it will be one of the first things the Attorney tells her, stop talking to the police!

Now, go get a extra large douche, and clean the cobwebs from between your legs, dig deep, you may just find your brain.

rmet4nzkx

D.B. Cooper said:
That is legal advice, jackass. And if you had half a brain you would know it will be one of the first things the Attorney tells her, stop talking to the police!

Now, go get a extra large douche, and clean the cobwebs from between your legs, dig deep, you may just find your brain.
You are not worth the time to reply. Your advice will only cause him more grief which is what you hope for anyway.

He is not in custody, he was given the opportunity to gain appropriate representation prior to turning himself in on Monday morning. There is little he can say to the police, that will or won't make a difference at this point. No one disagrees on the elements of the case. He admitted to having sex with a minor, that is not in dispute. There is not a whole lot to talk about to the police at this point.

If he or his parents had not talked to the cops he would be in a cell right now!

I don't have to look for my brain, I know right where it is, I'm sorry the same can't be said for you. I strongly suggest you take your own advice to look for your own brain.

BelizeBreeze

D.B. Cooper said:

Either remove this post immediately or you will no longer be able to log into this site on Monday Morning.

D

D.B. Cooper

I disagree with your opionin about the mother speaking with the police. I think the officer is being overly friendly for a reason. As for giving the kid till monday, it's not becuase they are being nice, they need something.

You know and I know, that when that kids in the police station they will try to get a confession out of him by acting like thier on his side and just trying to get to the bottom of the situation. And then thier going to nail him. That kid is not only looking at some serious jail time, but probaly a life long sex offender status. It is time for them to keep thier mouths shut.

AHA

D.B. Cooper said:

Please sign up for a biology class. You obviously don't know your a$$ from your head, so any legal advise from set a$$/head would be very questionable.... :)

D.B. Cooper said:

Your offensive response should not be tolerated..period.

rmet4nzkx

D.B. Cooper said:
I disagree with your opionin about the mother speaking with the police. I think the officer is being overly friendly for a reason. As for giving the kid till monday, it's not becuase they are being nice, they need something. Like what, the girl to have 2 more birthdays?

You know and I know, that when that kids in the police station they will try to get a confession out of him by acting like thier on his side and just trying to get to the bottom of the situation. And then thier going to nail him. That kid is not only looking at some serious jail time, but probaly a life long sex offender status. It is time for them to keep thier mouths shut. I can think of something he should keep shut, butt he may have little choice in that either :eek:
He knew that when he had sex with a 16 yo because statutory rape isn't the only charge, he was nailed when he first got involved with a minor, that is why minors are called jail bait. Consent or lying about age are not defenses, the parents or the state can prosecute and at this point it is out of her parnets hands. The only chance he has to to cooperate, get an attorney and hope for a plea bargin because the girl lied about her age. There is no need for them to drag a confession out of him, it was already a known fact.

It will be so nice when you are gone :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">