• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice ASAP - underage drinking (wrong subgroup? not sure)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NittanySenior

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Last weekend, I received a citation for underage drinking at a tailgate before a Penn State football game. I was drinking my second beer over the course of 4 hours, and my BAC was almost non existant. I would like to take the course offered in Pennsylvania that allows a juvenile to pay a fine and take a 16 hour course that expunges any record of the citation. However, I was issued another citation last spring of which I was found not guilty and completely acquitted when the officer did not show up for the hearing, but just because it was ever filed I am unable to take the course.

It has been 10 days since the citation and I need to turn it in tomorrow morning. I don't know what to do as I do not want to plead guilty as I will face the consequences of a 2nd citation and immediately lose my license and pay several hundred dollars in fines. I am debating as to whether I should enter a plea of not guilty and go to a hearing, but I'm not sure -

if I enter a plea of not guilty and am found guilty in a hearing, will I face more severe penalties than if I had just entered a plea of guilty in the first place?

Also, if I plead not guilty and argue my case at a hearing, do you think I would have a chance of receiving a reduced or dropped citation based on the following facts:

- I am 3 weeks away from turning 21 years old.
- I was very cooperative with the officer.
- I was entirely sober and drinking my first beer of hours.
- It is arguable that there was not reasonable cause to ask me for ID as I was drinking out of a red cup and not a can, and there were several other underagers drinking at the tailgate who were not asked for ID.
- I cannot afford to lose my license as I drive home on the weekends and drive to work during the week.

Any advice that you could provide ASAP would be tremendously appreciated as I need to turn in my citation tomorrow morning. I am terrified of losing my license and of having this show up on my record when I apply for jobs in the spring. Thanks a ton for your help.

Happy Trails

NittanySenior said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Last weekend, I received a citation for underage drinking at a tailgate before a Penn State football game. I was drinking my second beer over the course of 4 hours, and my BAC was almost non existant. I would like to take the course offered in Pennsylvania that allows a juvenile to pay a fine and take a 16 hour course that expunges any record of the citation. However, I was issued another citation last spring of which I was found not guilty and completely acquitted when the officer did not show up for the hearing, but just because it was ever filed I am unable to take the course.

It has been 10 days since the citation and I need to turn it in tomorrow morning. I don't know what to do as I do not want to plead guilty as I will face the consequences of a 2nd citation and immediately lose my license and pay several hundred dollars in fines. I am debating as to whether I should enter a plea of not guilty and go to a hearing, but I'm not sure -

if I enter a plea of not guilty and am found guilty in a hearing, will I face more severe penalties than if I had just entered a plea of guilty in the first place?

Also, if I plead not guilty and argue my case at a hearing, do you think I would have a chance of receiving a reduced or dropped citation based on the following facts:

- I am 3 weeks away from turning 21 years old.
- I was very cooperative with the officer.
- I was entirely sober and drinking my first beer of hours.
- It is arguable that there was not reasonable cause to ask me for ID as I was drinking out of a red cup and not a can, and there were several other underagers drinking at the tailgate who were not asked for ID.
- I cannot afford to lose my license as I drive home on the weekends and drive to work during the week.

Any advice that you could provide ASAP would be tremendously appreciated as I need to turn in my citation tomorrow morning. I am terrified of losing my license and of having this show up on my record when I apply for jobs in the spring. Thanks a ton for your help.
Duplicate post--go to: https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=275328

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">