• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice and Information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ak3030

What is the name of your state? TX

I have just left a job (gave proper resignation) that I was at for 6 Years. I was given a business credit Card. When this credit card was set up I gave them my personal information (SS#,BD,mothers maiden name) Although the company received the bills.

Since leaving the company they found charges that I made while working their that they did not approve. I know that I was not supposed to use this card for personal use and I did at times. The owner of the company Knows now that I did this and it furious he called and told me that he would work with me and that I could set up proper payments etc. AT this time he will not say what or how much I owe. I received another email saying that he did not realize how much money was involved and that the ramificaitons are HUGE.
I know this was wrong and told him that i would pay every penny back.

I received an email from him on Monday advising that this was serious and asked how I planned to pay the company back for the money I stole? I replied to him saying I would do whatever I needed to do to get this back to him and make this right. He has not replied and I am afraid that he is pursing legal actions. I don't blame him but, I want to know what to expect and how I should procede.
i do not know at this point what the exact dollar amount is.

Please help! I am loosing sleep over this thinking that police are going to show up at my new job or that i will be home with my family (who does not know yet) and I will be served... NEED advice!!!!

ak3030

NYMinute said:
HOw much did you charge and why are you starting multiple threads?
sorry didn't realize that I posted more than one thread. This is my first time using this site.

As far as the amount. he said right now it's in excess of $20K. i have not seen anything that he is researching. so I am not exactly sure.

ak3030

NYMinute said:
YOU personally charged 20K?>??? do you know if you did that much?? You would KNOW This...
Yes I used the card.I have admitted to this. But, I don't know the exact amount. I was estimating around $10-$15K.

ak3030

NYMinute said:
How could you charge that much and not think you'd get caught?
To be honest I was foolish in thinking i wouldn't get caught. Over a 5 year period I just got into a routine when the bill would come in I would submit to the accounting dept and they would just code and pay. Other card holders do the same.. Most of them never turn in receipts either. Regardless of what happens to me.I trully do have respect for my boss and that is the part that is killing me. I can't sleep. I do care about what happens to me as I have a home and animals that i am responsible for. I just pray he allows me a chance to pay him back and not send me to jail. I can't say that if I were him I would allow that. But, I do want to make this right. I am the one at fault.

NYMinute

Have you heard from him yet??
I'm hoping he lets you pay him back. You sound like you have remorse. What was your relationship with him?

What others have done this?
Maybe you can tell him to look up their records too.
I wonder what made him realize all this ALL OF A SUDDEN. I mean...if the bills were paid, what made the red flag go up?

ak3030

NYMinute said:
Have you heard from him yet??
I'm hoping he lets you pay him back. You sound like you have remorse. What was your relationship with him?

What others have done this?
Maybe you can tell him to look up their records too.
I wonder what made him realize all this ALL OF A SUDDEN. I mean...if the bills were paid, what made the red flag go up?

I have heard from him but, its very vague. He just said that this could go on forever and that I have 48 hours to repay him. He won't give me an amount. I was his assistant he is the president of the company. I do wish that he will allow me to repay him. But, I also know that my options are limited.

Each month I would hand in my bills along with his credit card bill. I would give receipts if I had them and code the information for the acct dept. The problem arises here. Before the acct dept would get the bills and then say hey I need receipts for this, this, etc. but, they got too busy and he asked me to handle this. Upon leaving i had put down everything that would be coming in. He also just started reviewing the bills for the entire company because the CFO quit (he was doing) lots of changes happened and he was aware of many things (not just this).
the thing is he allows some of the "vp's" to make such transactions. The acct dept spends way too much time hunting answers down so they let it go.. I don't think that is right either. But, I did what I did. The others will get away with it because of the way they manipulate him.

I have respect for him. We had a great business relationship. I do respect him as a business owner and i respect his family.

because I feel like a sitting duck and because he is unwilling to provide me with everything. I made an appt to meet with an attorney tomorroow. I want to at least admit my wrong to someone with authority before the police show up at my work. I know that he doesnt' want me to go to jail. But,right now it's personal and sometimes that is worse. I just need to get past this and move on. I cant' allow him to threaten me everyday with just and "amount" that I will never be able to give him. I need to take care of me.
thank u for listening. If you want i will keep you posted. Are you an attorney?

NYMinute

No, I'm not an attorney, but my brother in law is.
How can he expect you to pay him when you dont know how much?

Were you a signer on this account or not?

ak3030

NYMinute said:
No, I'm not an attorney, but my brother in law is.
How can he expect you to pay him when you dont know how much?

Were you a signer on this account or not?
Thats the thing. he knows I don't have that kind of money. Just says you need to get the money. that is why i have to seek legal help! I can't continue to live w/this burden and wonder when he is going to make his move.. I know that he is a procastinator so at least that gives me some time to see what I can do.
The credit card was in my name. So I didn't illegally sign for something, I just didn't have permission from him per say. If that makes sense. when I got this card the credit card the company also got my information (SS#, mothers maiden name) etc..
I have a meeting with an attorney today. Hopefully i will see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am feeling pretty worthless right now. I have hurt my family as well so I am sure you can imagine what I am going through..

NYMinute

Ok hold on a minute!! You are a signer on this account. It's YOUR social security....
This means that he doesnt have a leg to stand on I dont think.
You didnt use the card without permission. It was in YOUR name. He paid for ALL the charges without looking at them!! HIS FAULT!! He wont have a leg to stand on. It's YOUR word versus HIS. Wont hold up in court!!!!!!

Are you female or male ( out of curiousity )

Happy Trails

NYMinute said:
Ok hold on a minute!! You are a signer on this account. It's YOUR social security....
You didnt use the card without permission. It was in YOUR name. He paid for ALL the charges without looking at them!! HIS FAULT!! He wont have a leg to stand on. It's YOUR word versus HIS. Wont hold up in court!!!!!!

I disagree. This was a company card that the OP (Original Poster) was authorized to use for company expenses. The OP admitted using it for personal use without the consent of the company owner.

...the company they found charges that I made while working their that they did not approve.
When the owner discovered it, he called and e-mailed the OP and OP admitted it. Even if the OP hadn't admitted it the CC statements are showing purchases that were not authorized. Also the OP was to turn in the receipts that would prove the charges were for the company.

NYMinute

nope, I'm telling you. My friend is in law enforcement. He does NOT have a case. The charges were PAID...a long time ago.
His ( her ) name was on the card.....they werent disputed.
the guy is SOL...he'll need to PROVE these werent authorized.

ak3030

NYMinute said:

Female!
I am so confused at this point. The credit card was supposed to be for business purposes only. The bill came to work and yes all was checked off and paid for..I really thought that if my personal information was attached to this card that I would still be liable from the credit card (which is fair). My 48 hours is up today. I have not heard from him. I went to see an attorney yesterday (what a joke) he was so rude and arrogent. He said first of all I won't look at your case for less than $10K and I can't take your money because i will be fined.
He said that basically it's a federal crime and he also can't contact my boss for litigation or anything because that would be an obstruction of justice.. Regardless I just don't know what to do.. I need real solid legal advice and the guy i went to yesterday was a freakin Joke..not very professional at all.. Any suggestions??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">