• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice for outstanding warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stranded_n_ar

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin I left Wisconsin in 1998. While searching the Wisconsin circuit court database I discovered 2 warrants for my arrest. The charges....count 1 940.19(1) battery**************.....count 2 941.20(1)(b)operate firearm while intoxicated. When I made bail they told me it was a fine and the bail money acted as paying my fine. I left the state thinking it was cleared up. Under case status it is "filed only-criminal warrant issued 10-14-1998. both class A misd. I contacted the DA's office and was told I should just come in and turn myself in and talk. My questions are can I get this dropped....since it is approximately 9 years old are their statue of limitations**************..and what repercussions am I facing if I return to my home state. This has been hanging over me for 9 years and I need some good advice.

BelizeBreeze

stranded_n_ar said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin I left Wisconsin in 1998. While searching the Wisconsin circuit court database I discovered 2 warrants for my arrest. The charges....count 1 940.19(1) battery**************.....count 2 941.20(1)(b)operate firearm while intoxicated. When I made bail they told me it was a fine and the bail money acted as paying my fine. I left the state thinking it was cleared up.
ahhhhh, the quisential "THEY" ....that makes a lot of things go away doesn't it?
Under case status it is "filed only-criminal warrant issued 10-14-1998. both class A misd. I contacted the DA's office and was told I should just come in and turn myself in and talk. My questions are can I get this dropped....since it is approximately 9 years old are their statue of limitations**************..and what repercussions am I facing if I return to my home state. This has been hanging over me for 9 years and I need some good advice.
There is no statute of limitations in your situation. Each and every day you stay gone from the jurisdiction of the court you keep the SOL running.

The decision to return and face the consequences is up to you....

weenor

Whether you can get this "dropped" will depend on the evidence "they" had to substantiate the charges. Obviously if conviction is dependent on the testimony of an officer that is no longer with the department, "they" will have a difficult time proving the case.

NOTE: Often Wisconsin courts will set the bail in accordance with the amount of the expected fines for a particular charge. This DOES NOT absolve you from appearing in court to plead or defend a case. It only means that in the event you are found guilty you will not have to pay additional fines if you have covered the bail.. Since you are no longer in the State, the safe money would be to hire a Wisconsin lawyer to make court appearances and deal with the DA.

Oh and that doesn't mean you won't ever have to appear in court.....but the attorney can minimize the appearances to limit travel time and expense.

BelizeBreeze

weenor said:
Whether you can get this "dropped" will depend on the evidence "they" had to substantiate the charges. Obviously if conviction is dependent on the testimony of an officer that is no longer with the department, "they" will have a difficult time proving the case.

NOTE: Often Wisconsin courts will set the bail in accordance with the amount of the expected fines for a particular charge. This DOES NOT absolve you from appearing in court to plead or defend a case. It only means that in the event you are found guilty you will not have to pay additional fines if you have covered the bail.. Since you are no longer in the State, the safe money would be to hire a Wisconsin lawyer to make court appearances and deal with the DA.
The problem with that logic is you are forgetting any other charge his failing to appear has or will bring...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">