• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice - plead guilty or go to trial?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robodou

What is the name of your state? Washington State

Hello. My husband is charged for Supplying Alcohol to a Minor during a sting operation at the convenience store he worked at. This is his second offense. He is not from this country and during his first offense he simply was not well educated on the laws of selling to a minor. He was working under the table and had only been in the country for about 6 months. Well...now he's been here for seven years. He was working one night back in 2004 and a person came in a bought beer. He was very busy with many customers, and someone had just spilled coffee all over the store floor. During all of this hub-bub he sold beer to a minor. Right after the kid picked up the beer off the counter, my husband realized that this kid was too young, ran out from behind the cash register and out the door, and demanded that the beer be given back to him. The kid gave him back the beer...and unfortunately, there was also a plain clothes cop standing there who said "too bad, too late".

Anyways, SO, now we acquired an attorney, and he asked to plea with the prosecutor. The prosecutor will not offer a plea bargain. My husbands case is on Thursday afternoon. We are wondering if he should plead guilty to this charge and face the sentencing (who knows what it coudl be?! As little as $200 or as much as $5,000 and jail time). OR, should he go to trial.

What is your advice? If he pleads guilty, will he have a chance to defend himself prior to sentencing? I really don't want to have this go to trial, I think it's a complete waste of money and time. But, of course, my husband doesn't want to admit guilt. Argh! What do we do?! What would you say our best bet would be?!

Thanks for any advice you offer. It is much appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">