• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice plz

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clockwork5

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I was with someone who shoplifted and we ended up both getting caught. this was yesterday.. I didn't go to jail, nor was I arrested. I was handed several pieces of paper such as one stating I'm never allowed back onto that store's property and also a civil demand. I am involved simply because I chose out a couple items that the other person was planning on taking. what is my best option right now? I know I can't afford a lawyer because I am already paying one off that is helping me out in a child support case. what should I do? I forgot to mention that the total of everything was 160 dollars. please, any advice will help

FlyingRon

Pay the civil demand, stay out of the store, and hope that no charges are forthcoming. You know that what you admitted to doing is a FELONY.

clockwork5

if it matters, this is the first time I have ever been in trouble for anything. but what will most likely happen to me and what should I do?

clockwork5

I was already going to do what Ron said. my question is what will most likely happen when I show up to court. like I said this was my first time ever breaking a law

cyjeff

I was already going to do what Ron said. my question is what will most likely happen when I show up to court. like I said this was my first time ever breaking a law
Were you handed a summons and a court date? You said you weren't arrested.

If the police were called and the nice officer handed you a court summons, you were arrested.

You just weren't jailed for it.

If you go to court, plead not guilty and ask for a public defender. Most likely, you will receive a fine, probation and community service.

clockwork5

no they said they would send a a court date in the mail I think. I was not arrested I went home an hour later after being questioned and reported.

clockwork5

another question I had is.. I didn't go to jail on the spot because I was straight up honest, am I facing jail time after court? so much goin through my head right now..

Last edited:

cyjeff

If you go to court, plead not guilty and ask for a public defender. Most likely, you will receive a fine, probation and community service.

clockwork5

I don't understand why I would plead not guilty, wouldn't that be considered lying? please explain, like I said I have never been in trouble with the law before, so elaberate if you can. thanks

vfielder

It's called Conspiracy and yes you where arrested, but not jailed...be thankful. Do what all these smart people suggested and take some responsibilty.

cyjeff

I don't understand why I would plead not guilty, wouldn't that be considered lying? please explain, like I said I have never been in trouble with the law before, so elaberate if you can. thanks
Because if you plead guilty, the game stops and sentencing begins.

Pleading not guilty buys you a ticket to the game... you are not saying you are innocent... just that you are not guilty. There is a legal distinction between the two... in fact, almost no one gets a verdict of "innocent"... it is always "not guilty".

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it is not lying.

Pleading not guilty is not saying that you didn't do what you are accused of. Pleading not guilty is taking advantage of your Constitutional right to have the state prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. They may be able to do that - I'm not saying they won't. But it's where the ol' "innocent until proven guilty" concept comes from.

FlyingRon

if you are charged (get a court date), then this is very serious. Theft is always a felony in Indiana. It's possible it might get dropped to Conversion which is a misdemeanor, but still the impact is non-trivial. We do actually have an Indiana expert on this board but he must be busy today.

clockwork5

thanks for all the responses continue posting if you'd like I accept all help and advice, and really appreciate it. I just hope I don't go to jail I have my son once a week and I just hope they go lightly on me. I just shouldn't have done this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">