• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice in theft case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

olympic_taxi

What is the name of your state? Washington

What is the name of your state? Washington

One grocery store has charged me with shoplifting crime. The case has gone to the court and I pleded not guilty. In the meantime, DA told me to talk to the store for compromise of misdemeanor charges.
Spoken to grocery store and they are willing to do compromise but their condition is that first I have to pay the fine.
I am willing to pay a fine to avoid my time in fighting the case but I want to make sure that after paying fine they will drop the charges or will not persue the case.

Can someone help me in how to make sure that grocery store will not continue the case in the court after paying the fine.

Thanks very much for your time.

racer72

Get a signed receipt for the payment. I am assuming this fine is the civil penalty that the retailer is allowed place against anyone suspected of shoplifting. For safety, I would have an attorney draw up a simple release form that says the retailer will halt any and all criminal and civil proceedings upon payment of the civil penalty. You both may want a non partisan witness to the transaction, such as a police officer or an attorney, that could act as a witness if the retailer renigs on the promise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">