• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help. Person threatening about said-stolen product.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JPlumb

I'm in Washington State, here's what's happening:

I play EverQuest (a massively multiplayer online role playing game). About a year ago I had 2 accounts stolen from me. I tried to get them back, but had no luck. Sony wanted me to provide them with my original credit card info, which I no longer had, seeing as it was 5 years old. I finally gave up and later joined the Army. Now, a year down the road, I discovered my original credit card info in some old documents. I called up Sony and got the accounts back. I logged into the game, and while I was online I got a message from another player threatening to go to the attorney general and what-not saying I stole the accounts from him. Apparently what had happened is, the person who stole the accounts from me had sold them online to another player using my name, probably obtained the same way he stole the account from me. The person in-game told me he works for homeland security and knows everything about me, and said he contacted my attorney general and was going to press charges. He said he'd drop the whole thing if I let him have 1 of the accounts, since it was the one he put all his work into. Not knowing what to do at the time and not able to afford an attorney, I agreed. However, I feel like I should be able to have my original accounts, since I bought and paid many months for them. Is there anything I can do? I'm scared to do anything because he appears to know every detail of my life because of where he works. He claims it was me who sold the accounts to him in the first place, and that me taking them back is fraud and he'll get me thrown in jail. I contacted Sony and they said I'd have to contact an attorney. They said they cannot be involved in out-of-game issues.

Last edited:

snostar

You seriously need to consult an attorney. The whole situation is screwy, did you check his credentials?

BelizeBreeze

JPlumb said:
I'm in Washington State, here's what's happening:

I play EverQuest (a massively multiplayer online role playing game). About a year ago I had 2 accounts stolen from me. I tried to get them back, but had no luck. Sony wanted me to provide them with my original credit card info, which I no longer had, seeing as it was 5 years old. I finally gave up and later joined the Army. Now, a year down the road, I discovered my original credit card info in some old documents. I called up Sony and got the accounts back. I logged into the game, and while I was online I got a message from another player threatening to go to the attorney general and what-not saying I stole the accounts from him. Apparently what had happened is, the person who stole the accounts from me had sold them online to another player using my name, probably obtained the same way he stole the account from me. The person in-game told me he works for homeland security and knows everything about me, and said he contacted my attorney general and was going to press charges. He said he'd drop the whole thing if I let him have 1 of the accounts, since it was the one he put all his work into. Not knowing what to do at the time and not able to afford an attorney, I agreed. However, I feel like I should be able to have my original accounts, since I bought and paid many months for them. Is there anything I can do? I'm scared to do anything because he appears to know every detail of my life because of where he works. He claims it was me who sold the accounts to him in the first place, and that me taking them back is fraud and he'll get me thrown in jail. I contacted Sony and they said I'd have to contact an attorney. They said they cannot be involved in out-of-game issues.
You have no legal issue any longer. You gave in to his threats and now it's over.

next time tell him to go ahead and call.

JPlumb

There has to be something I can do. I agreed to his demands because he was threatening me, knew where I lived, knew everything about me. For all I know he could have easily thrown my whole life into jeapordy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">