• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need some advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dmcgaffic

What is the name of your state? Iowa
My husbands ex step dad has been calling and threatening me...saying that he will and can kill me, my sons and hubby. I am so afraid to be home alone or to even leave the house. I dont know what to do. I am planning on going to the office of where i live and see if they can ban him from the property. But i just dont know what my legal options are.

D

Darin

File criminal charges against them for telephone harassment and look into obtaining a protective order.

H

hmmbrdzz

Do not allow these threats to go on any further without taking action through the appropriate authorities. This is stalking, harassment, and it's a pretty hefty penelty when you threaten to kill someone. Do not talk to this man anymore -- no matter what. Call the police and advise them what's going on. Follow their instructions on how to file for a protective order against this man. Follow their instructions on how to report this to the phone company. Advise your landlord what's going on. They cannot "ban" him from the property without a legal order that prohibits him from being on the premises, but they might agree to call the police if he shows up and they see him. Go to court when it's time for you to state your case against this jerk for the protective order. When the judge grants its, advise your landlord and call the police department again to make sure they have a copy of this order -- or take it to them yourself.

I hope your husband is supporting you on this matter. If not, file for the protective order anyhow and get it as soon as you can.

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">