• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some tax law advice. being audited

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moose444

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Hi,

Unlike many others on here I will admit I did something very dumb. I am not going to say that I should do what alot of other people do but I did and now I am paying for it I think. I bought a vehicle privately last year. The amount I registered it for VS what I actually paid were 2 different amounts. Now NY state want to see all documentation regarding the sale. Basically I think I am screwed. Is this tax fraud? Can I just pay the difference and be done with it? I think I probably owe about 800.00 if my memory serves me correct. I no longer own the vehicle, they want to see the title, cancled check to the seller and all sorts of other paperwork that I do not have. Any help is appreciated as I am extremely stressed over this

tranquility

Yes, it is tax fraud. From your post, you did your actions with the intent to pay less taxes then you should have. Intent is always the key.

That does not mean they are going to charge for intent. If you have any explination, they'll take it and send you a bill for the difference plus penalties and interest.

Because of your guilt-racked mind, I suggest you see a tax professional who can be the go-between in your audit. That way you won't say anything stupid which will change a bill to handcuffs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">