• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Needs advice about body exhuming/murder case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LaurieM

What is the name of your state? NY, but I am asking about NC law.

A family of a 7 year old little girl wants to have her exhumed from NC to MI.

The problem is this...this little girl was murdered by her legal caregiver. This person has been arrested and charged with murder, currently out on bond awaiting trial. She had this child buried in her family plot with her last name on the headstone, instead of the childs legal last name. The family of this child want to have her exhumed and returned to the family plot, next to the childs grandmother who commited suicide after finding out her granddaughter was dead (she had tried to save her and was charged with kidnapping!). It has been three years and the family just really wants to bring this child home where she belongs and have been fighting for all of this time. The DA is saying no idea as far as a trial date yet...(very complicated case).

Can anyone give us a direction to go in? What does the family need to do or whom do they contact to get this process started?

I hope I have explained it enough for someone to advise. Thanks so very much for any help you can give.

I am very sorry about your family’s loss.

Your family should hire a NC attorney to handle the case. This is not an easy case, as her legal care giver would be responsible for the body. I don't think you will make much progress until after she is found guilty (as in the saying "innocent until proven guilty”).

Good luck and may god bless you and your family.

-JUG

LaurieM

I am very sorry about your family’s loss.

Your family should hire a NC attorney to handle the case. This is not an easy case, as her legal care giver would be responsible for the body. I don't think you will make much progress until after she is found guilty (as in the saying "innocent until proven guilty”).

Good luck and may god bless you and your family.

-JUG

I was afraid of that :( Just to clear it up, this isn't my family (although it feels like it some days), but rather a family who has listed this case on my chat board... and this is the first time I have ever been asked to assist in something like this for a family.

The Aunt of the little girl has been made the Rep of her estate.....this Aunt is NOT related to the accused. I don't know if that'll make a difference at all, but forgot to include it above.
And I am not sure if being name Rep also includes custody of the child's remains.

Thanks again for your answer.....I'll pass it along to the family, but I know they have very limited funds due to all the criminal proceedings they have been attending.

Believe it or not, there are some lawyers with hearts out there, who would be willing to take a case such as that for a very low fee.
God Bless,
-JUG

LaurieM

Thank you very much! I will check it out and maybe by, the Grace of God, we can help this family with this very small thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">