• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neeed some legal advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luke9511

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

hello everyone I hope your all well,

I recently discovered that my 4 year old laptop was stolen, while this might not seem like such a bad thing, I have not even begun to make payments on it as it was paid through school loans.

now I have a feeling i know who did it and will be filing a police report about it aswell as some other stuff that was taken aswell, but my question is, how do I go about getting reimbursed for the amount that was taken?

do I need to contact a lawyer or something? im just at a loss the amount is about $2200 plus.

thanks for any help/advice

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

hello everyone I hope your all well,

I recently discovered that my 4 year old laptop was stolen, while this might not seem like such a bad thing, I have not even begun to make payments on it as it was paid through school loans.

now I have a feeling i know who did it and will be filing a police report about it aswell as some other stuff that was taken aswell, but my question is, how do I go about getting reimbursed for the amount that was taken?

do I need to contact a lawyer or something? im just at a loss the amount is about $2200 plus.

thanks for any help/advice
I'm sorry but a 4-year old lap top is not worth $2,200. Where was the lap top stolen from?

Mass_Shyster

how do I go about getting reimbursed for the amount that was taken?
You sue the person responsible for your loss. In order to recover, you must prove with a preponderance of evidence that the defendant is liable for your loss, as well as proving the amount of your loss.

Note: The court will not award damages because you have a felling you know who did it. Feelings are not admissible evidence.

You will also need to prove the actual value of the item. The purchase price four years ago is not the current value. You may want to start looking for the same model on eBay to get a rough idea of the current value.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just as a comparison...I bought a rocking laptop about 3-1/2 years ago for about $1,200.00.
Now, a much better machine can be purchased in the sub-$600 range.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">